WHY!???

Well guys first have to say THIS PRODUCT IS JUST AMAZING!  ;D:o, thank to all ORBX team for this. Now the bad thing is MY FPS are gone now, I was getting 30/30FPS hobart same setting that Im using with FTX and now with FTX im getting like 15 why? this is supossed to happend?

Guest Private-Cowboy

Hm, that is strange. For me the Hobart region actually gives better framerate with FTX than with FSX-stock-scenery. Are your sliders set too high maybe?

Well AA 8xS because for some reason 8x screwed up my screen, I can´t see the numbers when its chargin FSX or when I press Esc. When I dont want to fly anymore, anyone here having that trouble? lastest nvidia drivers, my settings on FSX very dense autogen I can easily do that with my computer before FTX not now, thats strange. I think best AA for the 8800GT´s is 8x but Im having also that issue

Thanks guys :'(

Yea that is strange, I have an older p4 3.4 ghz HT system, with 3g ram, Nvidia 8800gts 640mb, and my frame rate improved to over 25 fps fixed.  This is with turning up detail mesh, and increasing traffic, boats, etc...

I think this problem is going to be a system by system issue, as each users computer setups and hardware vary so does FSX/FTX performance.  The best way to get the best personal performance form both FTX and FSX is going to be playing with your settings in your individual setup as each users experience will vary.  Base your setup off what is contained in the user manual and adjust until the settngs suit you and you get the FPS or best looking scenery according to you.  I myself don't get resolution any where near what is contained in most of the screen shots posted here but that is largely due to the fact that I have a pathetic video card in a brand new laptop that I already need to replace with a Dell XPS gaming laptop just to get anything near what other simmers get in a fairly antiquated desktop unit.

Cheers

Aussiecop

OK, next "tricks"  ;D

first

DISABLE Ground Scenery Shadows, as this doesn't add much besides just beeing a frame hog

second

under ther [Main] section in your fsx.cfg add the following:

DisablePreload=1

oh and tick the empty scenery cache on exit in the scenery control panel ;)

let me know how ya go :)

I'm really puzzled by your peformance decrease mate.

because we all detected the contrary of that, our Aussie brothers are sound asleep now and of the top of my head I would say disable all not needed parafanalia in XP and kill all not needed programs that startup in the background, kill the XP theme and set in properties the rig to best performance, but I presume think you allready have done that

Just out of interest Ramonesq, can you choose a higher level of AA and AF with your current driver. Mine gives better performance at 16x compared to 8x (although I suspect the problem lies elsewhere).

Also as a means to establishing what is causing the problem for you - try in turn

• Turning vehicle traffic to 0
  • Turning air traffic to 0
  • Change autogen to Dense or Normal
  • Use the TERRAIN_MAX_AUTOGEN_BUILDINGS_PER_CELL=1000 setting in [TERRAIN]
  • Use the SmallPartRejectRadius=2 setting in [sCENERY]
  • Ensure lightbloom is disabled in SETTINGS|DISPLAY

You may already have some of these implemented.

I have the same thing happening,but just when i take of from Morrbbian airport my Frame rate drops to 15fps

Had ASX running  and  disabled and that speed thing up a bit....oh i did notice this was slower in the FPS from the 3d cockpit view than anything else!

I also run a 8800GTS 640 mb ,but with a E8200 with 4mb Ram with the AA on ?????

Country Vic ...40+ FPS  Auto gen set high ???

I must also report the same has happened to me. I still need to have further flying to tune my sliders, but Hobart is now <10 fps.

I think it has to do with Autogen. When I dop back to NORMAL, the fps returns to >20. I think FTX really does a lot more with Autogen and therefore the realistic depiction of suburban areas will bunch much a lot A/G into a given area, thus the perceived fps hit.

Ramonesg, which driver exactly are you using ? Are you running Enhancer ? Personally i prefer AA enabled in FSX and app controlled in the nVidia control panel. Which Anti Virus program do you use ? Any other addons installed for this area ?

Im running Nvidia 169.21, Yes nhancer, AA enable in the game but set to 16xQ on control panel cuse my res is 1490*900 so if a I set App cont. It looks crappy. Anti virus Nod 32 with exclusion on FSX as Jhon told me, Addons well twin otter scout cheyenne but the problems is with any aircraft I can´t get more than 12 FPS even with the air creation. I did some test and without FTX same area same plane same time everything get 30/30FPS  :'(

Ramoneq - the FTX Mode application does not turn FTX on or off. It backs up and restores certain files required by FTX -

Most of the files Orbx have created for FTX live inside the ORBX folders in the FSX root directory. However there are a few files that Orbx needed to replace in the FSX folders in order for our unique technology to function correctly. Don’t be concerned though, because any files we’ve replaced are securely stored in a backup folder and you can revert to your pristine FSX condition at any time using a little program called “FTX Mode† .....

The purpose of FTX Mode is to allow you to quickly and simply switch between our custom Orbx files and your normal FSX files...

The correct way to disable FTX is how you are doing it, ie., by activating/deactivating the scenery library entries.

I don't think you have any installation problems with FTX or your FSX scenery, therefore downloading, reinstalling etc will not help. I think you just are seeing a FPS hit because of autogen -

my settings on FSX very dense autogen I can easily do that with my computer before FTX not now, thats strange.

My system is very similar to yours (E6600 OC 3.2ghz and 8800GTS) and if I fly in the cities I have to turn vehicle traffic down to about 4%, and autogen down normal. This gives me FPS around 20-22 and is not strange when you think about the amount of objects that FTX is calling compared to standard FSX. Have a look at the density of housing and trees in your two comparison images.

BTW, John has gone home for some much needed R&R and will spend the weekend with his family before presenting back on board, bright and early Monday morning (Australian time of course :) ).

I also have a big loss of FPS with FTX. With default FSX over Perth i get 60 FPS (maximum my monitor allows with vsync on), and with FTX i get 35 FPS. Tested with a saved flight, same weather conditions. My card is an 8800GT.

Posted Image

Posted Image

I also have a big loss of FPS with FTX. With default FSX over Perth i get 60 FPS (maximum my monitor allows with vsync on), and with FTX i get 35 FPS. Tested with a saved flight, same weather conditions. My card is an 8800GT.

G'day Alvega,

Thanks for your feedback.

As Bazzam posted above it's probably simply due to the huge number of objects FTX is loading. I noticed you have fps unlimited. Have you tried limiting it at all- even to high fps? Doing so might (or might not) give you smoother performance.

Might I add that if you're getting 35fps you're doing a damn sight better than most of us!  ;)  I mean that in the nicest possible way - I'm very happy to get 20 fps.

Also, it's been said before by others wiser than me - forget about Shift-Z and measuring fps. Ultimatately it's not how many frames, but how it flies that's important.* Simply get out there and fly.  :)

*A note here for those frustrated at getting low fames - I was getting very low frames at one point duting testing (7-8fps - a problem with my setup). But the important thing was that it was running smoothly and consistently, which meant that it was very flyable (I'm now getting a very smooth 20 though, which I much prefer). Personally, I find stuttering more annoying than a smooth frame rate of, say, 12fps. Ultimately, and as recommended in the guide, set the autogen/traffic settings to the level that works best for you.

My setup:

3.0GHz dual core, 2GB RAM, 7900GS, XP

Setup as per manual, and with John's suggested nHancer settings. The only non-standard thing is that I have .NET 3.5 installed. Does .NET 3.5 make a difference? I have no idea and so don't specifically recommend installing it. My setup works for me though.

The only other advice - kill unwanted processes! That's a whole different topic though...

Cheers,

Andrew

G'day Alvega,

Thanks for your feedback.

As Bazzam posted above it's probably simply due to the huge number of objects FTX is loading. I noticed you have fps unlimited. Have you tried limiting it at all- even to high fps? Doing so might (or might not) give you smoother performance.

Might I add that if you're getting 35fps you're doing a damn sight better than most of us!  ;)  I mean that in the nicest possible way - I'm very happy to get 20 fps.

Also, it's been said before by others wiser than me - forget about Shift-Z and measuring fps. Ultimatately it's not how many frames, but how it flies that's important.* Simply get out there and fly.  :)

*A note here for those frustrated at getting low fames - I was getting very low frames at one point duting testing (7-8fps - a problem with my setup). But the important thing was that it was running smoothly and consistently, which meant that it was very flyable (I'm now getting a very smooth 20 though, which I much prefer). Personally, I find stuttering more annoying than a smooth frame rate of, say, 12fps. Ultimately, and as recommended in the guide, set the autogen/traffic settings to the level that works best for you.

My setup:

3.0GHz dual core, 2GB RAM, 7900GS, XP

Setup as per manual, and with John's suggested nHancer settings. The only non-standard thing is that I have .NET 3.5 installed. Does .NET 3.5 make a difference? I have no idea and so don't specifically recommend installing it. My setup works for me though.

The only other advice - kill unwanted processes! That's a whole different topic though...

Cheers,

Andrew

Hi Andrew,

Thanks for your answer.

I am not much concerned with the FPS i get because they are good enough for smooth flying. I just posted this because i find it a bit odd that some people say FPS improved with FTX, while in my case (and some others) i lost quite a few. That's what i find difficult to understand. I tried limiting them, but i don't find the need to do it, because my flights are smooth without blurries. I also just have 29 processes runnning on my computer, which i think is good compared to 40+ plus other people have. Just for the book, my rig is an E6600 overclocked to 3.2GHZ, 2GB Team Elite 667 RAM and an XFX 8800GT Alphadog 670/1950 GPU on Windows XP SP2.

Another thing i noticed, FTX mode enabled disables UTX Europe and messes the default FSX scenery too (at least in Portugal) and kills my FPS there from 60 to 35/40 also. Disabling FTX mode, UTX comes back and FPS goes up to 60 again...

Best regards.

Another thing i noticed, FTX mode enabled disables UTX Europe and messes the default FSX scenery too (at least in Portugal) and kills my FPS there from 60 to 35/40 also. Disabling FTX mode, UTX comes back and FPS goes up to 60 again...

Best regards.

Which is why we have the FTX mode.  ;D  We can't buy every addon out there and test the effect FTX has on each one. The simplest thing is to use a switcher. Unfortunately the tools we have in FSX means there is only one set of files associated with Autogen which FSX will use. If we add our own unique Autogen classes to these files, and another developer adds his own classes, the two files cannot coexist unless the two developers join togeather to create one file (fat chance). The FTX mode swaps the required files in to make FTX work as intended, turning it off replaces the original ones.

As the manual states use FTX mode when flying in FTX regions, Turn if off when flying in non FTX regions if it interferes. There is simply no other way to do it without perminently messing with peoples defualt files, and nobody likes that.  :(

Also consider the actual density of the autogen in FTX vs Default, we have annotated every single building and tree on every tile, there is probably twice as much annotation on an Urban FTX tile vs default. This the richest annotation your will likely see, the rest is upto the user their machine and how they set up their sliders. Extreme Dense is not called that for any other reason than that, it is extreme otherwise whats the point?  ;)

I am not much concerned with the FPS i get because they are good enough for smooth flying. I just posted this because i find it a bit odd that some people say FPS improved with FTX, while in my case (and some others) i lost quite a few.

G'day Alvega, I think the issue of perception also comes into play here as well. For example what you and I perceive as sharp, clear textures may be different to what others perceive. I have visited simmers who have often boasted of insane FPS with all sliders full on and I have had to shield my eyes because of the blurring and stuttering.

I think it comes down to the fact that if you are happy with your performance that is what matters :)

Thanks for sharing your FPS experience with us, I think it is very similar to mine. However as you mentioned - if nobody informs us then how would we know if there is something wrong or not.

Guest J van E

I did various tests with AlacrityPC on Vista32 but it didn't really do much for me. I got about 1 fps increase. And a free bonus of having to wait sometimes up to 7 minutes before FSX was finally started. And I also had to restart the compoter afterwards because not all services and programs could be restored. It certainly didn't do wonders.

Archived