Aerosoft's 'black project'

krigl

It started with the posting of a single picture and "no comment, don't ask" under the topic "The 'secret' Project, and not for Microsoft FS2004 or FSX" in Aerosoft's online discussion and support forums. Some time later, Mathijs Kok offered these detais:

"It is indeed a new simulator (but with roots as far back as FS1) we will discuss later in much more detail. It is NOT however a direct replacement of FSX but a simulator dedicated to a specific role (that of the pilot flying) in specific aircraft (several airliners). Very focused on these specific parts of a simulator.

"I can however also say that we are at this moment testing game engines to see which would be suitable to make a complete new 'SDK open' simulator that will be intended as a replacement for FSX. This is however a huge multi million dollar project. Of course we do have big parts, like much scenery and aircraft but it still remains a daunting task. Right now this is not linked to the IFCS and only a discussion topic."

cheers

Iain.

Orbx has been approached several times now to be a part of 'a whole new flight simulator' type of project(s).

When I find out they have no budget, I just ask them to contact me again when they find about US$30 million to fund the project.

If only the FSX development community would focus on the FSX platform and continue to innovate. Everyone would be the better off for it.

Is Areosoft fair dinkum about this or just blowing wind to see what the community reaction would be?

Mathijs Kok is no fool, and I have enormous respect for him and his company. I imagine it could be part of a consortium and limited perhaps to B73x series. He has aluded to using a lot of existing Aerosoft assets like airports and scenery, so perhaps it may involve some porting work to an alternative platform? Let's wait and see until there is more information. There is a lot of  licenseable 3D engine technology on the market, so if there is enough funding, it's doable.

As far as I can see, they are working on some kind of limited simulator for a few aircraft and probably over a limited area. Perhaps Digital Aviation might have some part in it. Reading the Digital Aviation site ('Cheyenne Release Candidate') http://www.digital-aviation.de/site/ it says:

"To be honest, the Cheyenne has pretty much reached the end of its development cycle. This means there won’t be any more service packs unless it’s about real show stoppers. It’s CRJ time now and after that we certainly will have to start thinking about other simulation platforms and perhaps there will be a new version of the Cheyenne when a successor for FS (whoever might do that) finally hits the shelves."

As Aerosoft are selling DA stuff... maybe DA might be involved in this mini-sim. Or are DA going to give up on FSX so soon and head over to X-plane/Flight Gear?

Perhaps Aerosoft are thinking of using this as a practice run for a full sim to see if it's feasible for them and they can get enough clever people in on it.

Anyway, the longer MS say and do nothing about FS11 the more these ideas are going to sprout and that can only be a good thing, maybe we'll all benefit... :)

Is Areosoft fair dinkum about this or just blowing wind to see what the community reaction would be?

Mathijs Kok is no fool, and I have enormous respect for him and his company. I imagine it could be part of a consortium and limited perhaps to B73x series. He has aluded to using a lot of existing Aerosoft assets like airports and scenery, so perhaps it may involve some porting work to an alternative platform? Let's wait and see until there is more information. There is a lot of  licenseable 3D engine technology on the market, so if there is enough funding, it's doable.

Makes sense but I wonder if they have done there research to how viable this will be. I know I won't be making a purchase I'm sticking with FSX it works and the current supply of quality add-ons is bigger than ever.

Archived