Issues with scenery order please help

walterg74

Well, I gotta buy a vowel...

I thought I mostly understood the scenery library order etc but it seems I don't.

Background: while I purchased all regions and ftx global, for now I only got to install so far ftx global and 2 regions, Austalia and England. I also made the mistake(?) of getting UTX USA and Europe...

I was just trying out an airplane I purchmased in a nice little northern Italy location, and when I switched outside to look I noticed the mountains were covered with tiles of textures that were not what they should... Roads houses etc. all patched up on the sides of the hills. Horrendous...

So this is where I learned that "region" does not mean the big block that is "EUROPE" for example in FTX Central, but rather the region you purchased and installed, for when I went to FTX central, Europe was Selected, and I changed it to global and tried again

This *almost* fixed it but still saw some wrong items. I also saw that after selecting global a lot of entries disappeared from my scenery library.

In the end, I moved the ORBX library entry lower than the UTX one and that fixed it altogether.

SO trying to understand how this work and know how to keep proper order as I keep adding things. And I really don't understand something: if this only worked for me when lowering the libs after utx, and scenery should be installed with the more specific one higher in the library, meaning an airport for example me how am I supposed to set it up if the libs also need to go higher than all the orbx stuff?

Hi Walter,

The first thing to check is in FTXCentral2->Settings->Tools, and set an insertion point to ensure the "FTX" entry is above the "Global" block of entries.

I don't know where UTX should be in the order, though.  My understanding is that Orbxlibs should be at the top of all Orbx entries, but below third-party sceneries.

If the problem persists, could you show a screenshot?

Hi Walter,

The first thing to check is in FTXCentral2->Settings->Tools, and set an insertion point to ensure the "FTX" entry is above the "Global" block of entries.

I don't know where UTX should be in the order, though.  My understanding is that Orbxlibs should be at the top of all Orbx entries, but below third-party sceneries.

If the problem persists, could you show a screenshot?

Thanks!

Ok, so that was my understanding too, and since UTX has exclusions, etc., my thoughts were (with just global) to put UTX after all the ORBX stuff, and to keep the ORBX stuff with the libraries as the highest entry.

I had already made an insertion point since the regions I started installing, then just now I checked and it was gone... *but*, I assume that is the case when you have just Global or switch back to FTX Global activated only? Because as part of the testing and reproducing the error I activated Europe and then I got the "orange FTX" back to add... (not sure why it moved in the first place).

Anywho, was what I saw when selecting to add an insertion point with just global (so nothing, but just so you see the elements). This is what I saw on entering the insertion point tool:

SceneryProblem1.jpg

So nothing to add...   After Activating Europe, I did get the orange FTX back:

SceneryProblem2.jpg

And this is where I placed it:

SceneryProblem3.jpg

After Having done that, this is what my FSX scenery library looked like with Europe Activated:

SceneryProblem4.jpg

SceneryProblem5.jpg

Ok, so here are the actual game screenshots.... These first 3 are with only FTX Global Activated, and the order being all the UTX stuff at the top. and right after that the ORBX Libraries and then rest of FTX Global Files:

SceneryOK1.jpg

SceneryOK2.jpg

SceneryOK3.jpg

Pretty standard, mountains, nice, etc.

Now this is what happened when I activated Europe:

SceneryNotOK1.jpg

SceneryNotOK2.jpg

SceneryNotOK3.jpg

So roads and houses on the sides of mountains, farm patchwork mountain, etc...

By the way the place is just after taking off from Mattarelo Airport in Trento, Italy

So, is this pretty much the NORMAL behavior because when we say "Region" it's not the "Europe Region" but the "ORBX Product Region"?  Meaning, if I have FTX England and I will fly in France then I should NOT activate "Europe" (even though France is in Europe...) and the real rule is:

- If you have an ORBX Region product and will fly in it, or across several contiguous ORBX Region products activate that product's region

- If you have an ORBX Region product and will fly between it and another non-contiguous region or non-region location activate Hybrid mode

- Regardless of any region product you have if you will fly entirely out of a region activate FTX Global only mode

Does that sound right, or is there just something I'm getting wrong and maybe it-s something in my config?

And again I would re-ask the same thing:

Scenery library should be from top to bottom more specific to less specific, so let's say ORBX Airport, ORB Region, UTX and ORBX Global....  Where do I stick UTX? :P  on one hand seems it should be above the base ORBX stuff but under Region and Airport, but then also Libs go atop everything as well...?

Hi Walter,

First, you need to put these your considerations / requests in the appropriate forum: http://www.orbxsystems.com/forum/forum/80-ftx-compatibility-forum/    there you will have more staff visibility.

If you haven't read, I think you should read this little Orbx System operating manual: http://www.orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/74345-the-definitive-guide-to-ftx-products-the-go-to-source-of-ftx-information/

Reading this manual, you'll see that UTX/GEX do the same as the Orbx System. In addition, UTX is a mix of Vector and openLC, then applies its own specialized textures in certain areas. This often is cause of incompatibilities.

Anyway, I'm not in favor of mixing the two systems: either using Orbx System or UTX/GEX, imho.

That's it!

Cheers,

Voyager

Hi Walter,

First, you need to put these your considerations / requests in the appropriate forum: http://www.orbxsystems.com/forum/forum/80-ftx-compatibility-forum/    there you will have more staff visibility.

If you haven't read, I think you should read this little Orbx System operating manual: http://www.orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/74345-the-definitive-guide-to-ftx-products-the-go-to-source-of-ftx-information/

Reading this manual, you'll see that UTX/GEX do the same as the Orbx System. In addition, UTX is a mix of Vector and openLC, then applies its own specialized textures in certain areas. This often is cause of incompatibilities.

Anyway, I'm not in favor of mixing the two systems: either using Orbx System or UTX/GEX, imho.

That's it!

Cheers,

Voyager

Thanks for the suggestion, I posted here thinking of Global, but of course adding the other ORBX products in the mix seems like a good idea to go to one of the other sub forums...

I have read the guide and understand it, however as it states in it, element layers do not equal to order in the scenery library :(

UTX/GEX do the same as some of ORBX (Depends what you're talking about, remember ORBX is the company name, not the name of a product...)

So I know GEX is the same as FTX Global, so not mixing those, but UTX like you say are the equivalent of Vector + Open LC  (roughly) and there are tons of people having a mix of both (FTX Global + UTX, or GEX + Vector/OLC).

I think the problem can come when you start adding the regions, since they contain everything, and I understand and it may simply be a question of either layering the regions above UTX, or even deactivating UTX when you fly in a region (and viceversa), but I'd like to understand how it works to select correctly.

Still it would be nice to have a reply from ORBX being that this *is* one of the SUPPORT forums... (even it's initially to move it like you suggested)

• 4 weeks later...

I'm no expert, but it seems to me that you think choosing Europe is the correct option to fly in Italy?

If flying in Italy with Global, choose either Global or Global with Hybrid checked.

Global is for areas without a full region. Global Hybrid is for flying in areas with a region and without ( for example flying from ENG to France with Global and FTX England installed).

Since there is no FTX Region for Italy, choosing Europe in FTX Central is the wrong choice and will result in textures you wouldn't expect.

As far as mixing FTX and UTX, always ensure that all UTX entries are BELOW all Orbx entries (except Vector if installed).

There are guides from the UTX developers on how to make UTX play nice with Orbx at their support forums at simforums.com.

I hope this helped, and I request a pardon if something is spelled wrong as I'm on my phone at soccer practice... :)

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

I'm no expert, but it seems to me that you think choosing Europe is the correct option to fly in Italy?

If flying in Italy with Global, choose either Global or Global with Hybrid checked.

Global is for areas without a full region. Global Hybrid is for flying in areas with a region and without ( for example flying from ENG to France with Global and FTX England installed).

Since there is no FTX Region for Italy, choosing Europe in FTX Central is the wrong choice and will result in textures you wouldn't expect.

As far as mixing FTX and UTX, always ensure that all UTX entries are BELOW all Orbx entries (except Vector if installed).

There are guides from the UTX developers on how to make UTX play nice with Orbx at their support forums at simforums.com.

I hope this helped, and I request a pardon if something is spelled wrong as I'm on my phone at soccer practice... :)

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

Hey Phil, thanks for the input!

Yeah, I kind of reasond the same, that even though it says "Europe" it only applies as always if you're actually flying in an ORBX region, else Global or Hybrid depending on the scenario...

Now regarding mixing/order, are you sure? I mean below *all* ORBX means also below LC entires, and UTX is supposed to give me the more specific LC...? The way it is now with the last tweaking I have:

ORBX Libs

ORBX Regions

UTX Entries

ORBX Open LC  (The base installed with FTX Global, as I have no OpenLC products yet)

Default Scenery (and mesh auto populated by Pilot's installers somewhere in the middle of these)

Does that look wrong?

Archived