KSTS issue - tree shadows show up when building shadows enabled?

Rob Ainscough

I've noticed this issue with several Orbx products ... made a quick video demonstrating the problem.

First part of this video is with both Vegetation and Building shadows disabled.  The second part of the video I enable ONLY building shadows and as you can see shadows appear on the trees (not all, just some).  It's as if some of the tree were classified as buildings and not vegetation.

>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B1lVUHjM-Dg

Also seem to be getting a lot of stutters from this airport.  I've disabled many items in the Config panel for this airport but so far can't seem to rid myself of stutters at this location.

Cheers, Rob.

Hi Rob

Some of the trees are hand placed and not autogen, so p3d classifies them as a normal object (so they may appear with either buildings enabled or object shadows enabled). It's only a select few trees though.

If you're getting stuttering, the very first thing you should try is turning the ground resolution down. I recommend 15cm in the control panel for the best performance vs visual balance, however, it also depends on the aircraft you are using.

Cheers

HI Misha,

Thanks for the response ... so this seems to be an SDK limitation.  Have you approached LM on "adjusting" this limitation?  I'll certainly add my desire to make object classes more consistent in regards to shadow application ... now is probably a good time to hit up LM if you haven't already.

Cheers, Rob.

EDIT: I was already at 15cm (2048) ... tried 30cm (1024) but still stutters a little ... I'll plug away at more config options and see what I can come up with.  Wonderful airport, I've been to this area several times, very well done ... I like the optimistic "green" for summer :)

Hi Rob,

I also noticed this small stutters flying this helicopter there.

I switched to an ND AS355 and stutter disappeared. I also noticed that the MD530 (very good by the way) slightly reduces the performance in FPS.

Well this may vary depending on the set CPU-GPU-HDD / SSD. Why I make this observation.

Cheers,

I switched out the Milviz MD550F for the Titan C404 and the stutters are gone ... interesting.

I did notice that the 3D Glass doesn't seem to be rendering and/or partial render, anyone else notice this?

Cheers, Rob.

EDIT: Hi Toby, As I understand it Object injection increases draw calls ... if this is being done to work around SDK limitations then I'll add my vote again to working with LM to get this resolved in V3.0 ... now is definitely the "opportunity" to get a working solution.  But Beau's probably the lead developer that will have a better grasp of complexity and potential for breaking changes.

Archived