CYSE flickering vegetation shadows

toby23

CYSE is a masterclass in scenery design but why are simobjects used for grass and for other vegetation objects?

I like shadows but I have to switch off simobject and building shadows in P3D to deactivate the flickering shadows in the CYSE scenery.

This kills the immersion as it removes all shadowing from the scenery.

I appreciate what you're doing here but did you have to take my shadows away? Can't you use vegetation objects for vegetation?

Hi Toby,

First let me thank you for your kind compliment.

The flickering shadows are a know issue and not specific to any one  ORBX airport or scenery. The flickering can be seen in autogen objects as well as scenery objects. The anomaly is related to shadow map count and draw distance in P3Dv2.2. The effect can be minimized by increasing settings but you will still notice some flickering in all shadows.

Lockheed Martin is working to improve the shadow engine for clouds and objects. LM has just released a new beta patch that addresses this issue and other performance related items. We always work in the most current patch and make adjustments as the tech evolves.

Our vegetation has always been built using a proven model. This model does have some undesirable behaviors in P3D2.2 but it does not make sense to deconstruct the vegetation libraries to remove the shadow option.

This flickering anomaly is a short term inconvenience in a very new platform. I'm quite confident that LM will improve the shadow engine in future patches or releases. While LM works to further improve their simulator, we will be working on our end to integrate our technology into the new platform.

The simobject part of the scenery engine adds a great deal more flexibility in other ways which are necessary for Objectflow to perform properly.

In fact the scenery has been made this way since Objectflow was introduced .. the problem with shadows has become an issue since functional shadows were introduced.  Prior to this, the recommendation (for performance reasons) was to disable shadows.

There are two possible solutions:  a fix for the shadows in P3D, or an alternative more flexible method for injecting scenery objects independent of SImconnect.  Both of these solutions lie squarely in LM's court.

Archived