Missing churches, gas stations, fast food stands

Mike Sierra

I know this topic has been discussed before.

Nevertheless I'd liked to express my regret that there aren't ANY of the mentioned features, which are content in the P3Dv2.x default autogen.

Being mostly a (virtual) VFR pilot, I miss them so sadly.

I admit there are several 'hairy' problems concerning this topic.

First, there is the problem of where to limit the accuracy.

On the one hand, in cities or larger populated areas, one (the virtual pilot) could 'tolerate' randomly positioned default looking churches, gas stations or burger stands (as is in the default scenery), but on the other hand - how about in smaller towns or villages, where the church tower is a landmark of defined position? (in "Austria Professional X" from www.flugwerk.at - no advertizing! - they placed default churches with steeples at least in the cities, smaller towns and larger villages, as well as geographically outstanding positioned solo standing churches, but they also don't have gas stations or burger stops).

And then there is the question of "beginning at which size (of the church) they should resemble the true look?" For example: Salisbury cathedral (in FTX EU ENG) is rather a symbolic cathedral ;o) than anything like the true thing - but one can find the landmark, at least!

The next (maybe not the last) argument might be: Not to discriminate any other religions: Shouldn't there be stupas, mosques, temples, and all other forms of religious buildings there are, spread over the complete globe?

Sounds to me to be a hard-to-solve task - maybe a separate FTX add-on for future projects?

Just some thoughts...

Michael.

A lot of the Villages and Towns in the Orbx scenery are "generic" and bear little relationship to the real thing..but having said that, I agree with your sentiment. I fly in the UK a lot as it is my place of birth, plus the fact that the countryside is well represented and beautiful to fly over "low and slow". Also, most towns have more than one church, and almost every village has one. For these reasons I use "instant scenery" to add churches and Cathedrals to the scenery.. When you get used to using IS you can do this "on the fly" in fact pausing and place a church in any town or village as you fly over it.. I have placed over a hundred in this way over the months.

As far as the other items you mention, IS also applies to these. Teecee.

Archived