can you fool a msi installer ?

dominique

I try to set up in¨P3D a good looking Japan on top of Global and Vector and found a couple of freeware airports who need a FSX install to work. Is there a reasonable easy and non havoc inducing way to fool them ?

Greetings All,

Dominique, another "cheat" is to create a fake   FSX.exe   in your P3D folder. Then, during the installation process, you point the installer to that folder. However, this would only work IF you do NOT have FSX installed.

Respectfully,

Brian

Yes. 

First, make a copy your "Prepar3D.exe" file in your P3D directory. Rename that copy you made "fsx.exe" so installers can see it. 

Now, download the Flight1 registry tool (google it, you'll find it) and select your new "fsx.exe" file you created. It'll create the FSX registry entry for installers to find. 

That's worked for me to install several things in P3D. 

Greetings All,

Dominique, another "cheat" is to create a fake   FSX.exe   in your P3D folder. Then, during the installation process, you point the installer to that folder. However, this would only work IF you do NOT have FSX installed.

Respectfully,

Brian

Thanks Brian  I have already a fsx.exe dummy and FSX is gone from my computer. The msi installer does not even care to ask me where FSX is installed. It just sees that I don't have it and shuts down with a polite message.

For the install itself, the EMT may work fine.  For blending well with Global/Vector/Mesh, that's a different problem.

Good to know. My idea was to install them in a temp folder (I am not fond of automatic installers of freeware, Heavens know why ;) ), check and transport them in P3D.

About compatibility , I found what looks like a nice landclass for the whole Japan and two airports so far. Japan which is nice region to fly if you like island hopping and mountain flying. I do.

Yes. 

First, make a copy your "Prepar3D.exe" file in your P3D directory. Rename that copy you made "fsx.exe" so installers can see it. 

Now, download the Flight1 registry tool (google it, you'll find it) and select your new "fsx.exe" file you created. It'll create the FSX registry entry for installers to find. 

That's worked for me to install several things in P3D. 

Thanks Bonchie. Will try. My dummy is an empty txt file.  maybe not enough.

What worked :

- have my fake fsx.exe (an empty .txt file) in the P3D root.

- use the Flight1 registry tool to create a dummy entry in the Windows registry.

Thank you all for taking the time to answer and specially to Bonchie who directed me to the Flight1 tool I didn't know about.

Archived