How will the Steam updates affect addons like ORBX

Here is a response to this question answered on the Steam forum

#659 2015-06-20 12.36pm

Originally posted by Trapper:

I think you're doing a fantastic job of keeping up with all the questions!

I have a couple of my own here:

1. Addons like Ground Environment (GEX), REX, OrbX, etc. all replace files in the game's core directories. How will the Steam updates affect these additions? Will the Setup managers just need to be run again to install textures and other changes that the Steam update "corrects?" Or will it be possible for Steam to ignore the changes those addons have made to the core game files?

2. Would it be possible for someone from Dovetail to accurately document the entries that are often used in tweaking fsx.cfg, and eliminate some of the confusion and aggrivation a lot of the community have experienced because there wasn't enough accurate information going around from reliable sources?

Hello there Trapper and thank you for leaving us some questions.

Steam will always try to restore your files to match those of the core game. This will happen when you verify the files through Steam and can occur when installing a new update. Running the installer again for the add-on in question should put it right back for you or you could back up your files before installing updates. Our advice is to ask the developer who made the add-on since they know how their add-ons install far better than we do.

For the reasons above we don't offer official advice about tweaking your game files. Modding FSX has always been key part of the community and we feel that it should really stay that way. However if you have any questions about the file structure in FSX: Steam Edition we are more than happy to answer them for you.

- Martin

Thanks for pointing me here Martin. Your answer leads me to ask - what is the process to "verify files through Steam"?

Originally posted by antonvs.fsim:

Thanks for pointing me here Martin. Your answer leads me to ask - what is the process to "verify files through Steam"?

Please follow the steps below antonvs.fsim. Sorry I should have explained these to begin with.

1. Load the Steam platform client and log into your account

2. Click the Library tab in the menu at the top of the screen

3. Click the List View from the view options on the top right of the screen

4. Right click on Microsoft Flight Simulator X: Steam Edition to bring up a popup menu

5. Click on Properties from the popup menu to bring up another popup box

6. Click on Local files from the popup box menu

7. Click on Verify integrity of game cache from the Local file options

8. Wait for the progress bar to finish verifying your files

9. Restart Steam

- Martin

I don't think DTG will be releasing too many more updates for FSX:SE since the code is fairly stable now.

Regardless, all that you need to do in the event of any update to FSX:SE is cycle FTX Central (ie re-apply the area of the world you're flying in).

The ObjectFlow.dll is self-updating although you may get some messages on starting FSX:SE for a day or two.

Thanks for clarifying this John. I have since given more thought to the upgrade process and realise that it is a new concept for us as with FSX Classic I see we got used to never having updates to the sim itself. So we have to adjust our thinking. It's great news that Central will look after us.

I noticed the messages from the ObjectFlow.dll.

With regard to my system, I haven't heard back from DG for a couple of days so in the meantime I thought it would be worth the effort of running the Global installers as well as REX installers again but this made no difference to my current 40 min load time for a new flight - followed by an immediate CTD (low memory).

I will wait a day or two in case DG come back with a work around, but I'm resigned to the likely hood of redoing a weeks work and start a new build of FSX:SE. I'm not discouraged at all, I still thing FSX:SE is a good solution. Meanwhile I've got the latest copy of PC pilot to finish reading lol.

OK. Call me impatient, but I couldn't wait any longer to get back into FSX. So I un-installed FSX:SE via Steam, un-installed Steam client. Removed all sign of FSX folders and add-on apps. uninstalled any remaing in Control Panel - uninstall. Reloaded Steam client. Downloaded a new DLC of FSX:SE. Installed into a new folder (E:\steam\....) to avoid any future issues with having FSX installed in the ..\Program Filesx86 folder.

Ran Flight1 reg tool and pointed the registry to the new path.

Ran a test default flight and all well again. Flight load time was 17.25 sec.

Now loading FTX: Global suite and all going well. Back on track again.

See you in the sky's again soon. And please change the status to resolved if you wish

Archived