80 times bigger but 40 times faster

dominique

I remember in late 90s people bitching because the new Talonsoft Battleground games were "enormous" at 150 MB. The CD, ordered through the internet, took about at least 10 days to come to me. I am presently dowloading on my not so good connection a 12 Gb Arma 3 wich will take less than 6 hours to be here 8) .

My first paid software was a few kilobytes, installed by audio cassette.  I bought it in a shop that normally sold calculators, and was the first I saw to sell computers over the counter.  This was in the days when most of my software (that I didn't write myself) was typed in from a listing in a magazine, and the cassette was a wonderful labour-saving device to eliminate all that effort.  Nowadays, I recently downloaded Witcher 3 (which is excellent!), about 25 GB, and no doubt something larger will come along soon.  I suspect when the Oculus Rift is out, the size of games will increase rapidly due to demand for high quality visual content.

What was real fun in those old programs from a magazine was changing it from a Tandy program;  to work on my Timex Sinclair.  Had to re-bracket the math a lot. Those were the days !  Getting a cassette was a real luxury ! 

I just downloaded  Wolfenstein- The Old Blood at 36 GB. I remember when I had dial-up, and couldn't download 100 MG overnight.

LOL

Sue

Archived