Enquiries on zinertek HD airport graphics

hey guys..

I just have some enquiries about an fsx add on called 

290x232xproduct_thumb.php,qsrc=main_imag

Zinertek - HD Airport Graphics

for FSX

1.) If some one has already purchased and installed it, is there a significant change in the look of the airports over the default airports?

2.) Does this product interfere with the textures installed by REX4 TD? Because i would like to keep the textures of REX4TD and use this add on only to improve the look of default airport buildings and jetways.

3.) Does this product leads to any decrease in performance wrt frames and VAS usage?

4.) Finally, those who have purchased it, do you feel its worth and does this have any compatibility issues with FTX vector?

thanking you

Hi Govind

I bought this last week and I'm really happy with it. It is a huge improvement over the default textures - they are crisp, clear and very detailed. It is especially good at night with the terminals all lit up.

It does interfere with REX but it is easily solved - simply install the airport textures, then reinstall your REX textures for those bits that you want and then you have them both working nicely together.

Haven't noticed any degradation of performance. VAS usage is higher as the textures are much bigger. However, I haven't had an OOM because of it. You can install a smaller texture size instead of the HD ones if you like and that should alleviate any problems with VAS. Not tried that yet so I don't know how the lower resolution textures look. I might try that this afternoon when I finish work so I can let you know.

There are no compatibility issues with FTX as far as I can tell - they work beautifully together.

For the price I think they are well worth it.

Hope that helps

Cheers

Stu.

I agree. I already had the previous version and bought these immediately. Of course you don't need them if you fly within ORBX Regions exclusively (but Zinertek textures don't interfere with the ORBX Airports, at least I didn't observe any issues).

You will glad you bought these in case you are flying outside ORBX regions. Being from Germany, I like to fly within Europe from time to time, say in Italy or Spain. Now that OpenLC improves Europe, that ugly default aiports do really hurt, notably if you are into VFR where only relatively few smaller addon airports are available. Notably, Zinertek HD removes these mega-ugly default hangars and replaces them by much improved ones, moreover the terminals and towers look much better, too. You still will have identical terminals etc on all default airports, but supposely this is impossible to avoid.

I can't comment on VAS myself,  I never had an OOM in P3D2.5 so far (only in GA), but as Stufer writes, I would expect the HD to use more VAS, of course.

Kind regards, Michael

thanks a ton guys...so even i am thinking of purchasing this...however i have one enquiry, does this cause any reduction in frames?

If their GUI had an option for using different texture resolution and also an option to choose which textures to install (like rex)..it would have been the best...I hope they will modify their GUI in future and release it as some service pack...however as of now..i am gonna buy it soon..thanks, only concerned about frames and i guess, that may not be of too much  concern since you guys have not even mentioned about it...

cheers

At present, there is no GUI at all. You just have the choice between HD and SD  (and FSX/P3D) during installation. But you are right, it would be nice to switch elements on/off.

Don't worry about fps, these are just exchange textures. Given the same texture resolution setting in the simulator you will get the very same fps.

Kind regards, Michael

Yes I agree with Michael on that - no FPS impact at all that I have noticed - even using the HD textures. And yes, a GUI would be good but it's not essential - once it's installed, that's it, you don't need to touch it again.

Archived