I'm back - & with problems...

mmglads

It's good to be back - an extended holiday, following the visits of English & then some German friends have kept me away from the PC. I have a problem though. My old Windows 7 beta went "belly up", so I formatted the drive (Windows XP Pro is on a separate drive) & installed the Windows 7 RC. Great so far. Using Easy BCD I have a dual boot system, with my FSX installation on a totally separate HDD again, but clicking on FSX.exe doesn't work. I seem to remember something about tweaking the registry or directing the Windows OS 7.0 to the working directory. Any ideas please? It would be a real pain to re-install everything again. Ta - and it's good to be back!

You can I believe run all your programing on say your "E:\" drive for instance and have 2 "C:\" Partitions one of which is hidden when the other is active BUT when you run W7 for instance and make changes you will possibly corrupt the XP instal.

What I have done is run Virtual Box for testing various, applications etc.

But if you completely GHOST your "C:\" to a complete drive and Upgrade from XP to Vista and then step to W7 thus keeping the same Programing setup on 2 entirely separate drives then a simple batch file can be used or any other Boot loader like Grub etc can be used to launch the system/s.

I think you issues may be because FSX was not installed to W7.

:D

There's a little tool for this. google "TweakFS - Registry Utility for FSX"  It used to be on AVSIM. You can probably find it on flightsim.com too. It will put an FSX entry in the registry for you. I just used it when I left FSX on my D drive and did a clean install of Windows 7 RC on the C drive.

LOL

Sue

Ah well, tried the repair tool with no luck, so took the big breath, formatted the drive (sniff!) & am now about to do a complete re-install of FSX & all of my add-ons - which are many!! Could have fiddled arond for a time, but I figure FSX somehow got corrupted when Windows 7 "died" on me, so orf we go. I'm beta testing the RC of W7, but I'm going back to XP Pro for my install. I'll back it all up this time!

Thanks for the advice & help, I'll be up & running in a couple of days....

Archived