Default scenery bleeding through Homer PAHO

mdata

Hi all,

Unfortunately I do experience issues with Homer PAHO (full FTX version 1.02) in Southern Alaska. I could only partially solve some of them on my own - I would be happy if you could help with further ideas.

It seems the upgraded (FTX_SAK) Homer airport would "bleed" through the full version of Homer PAHO airport. Please have a look at the screenshots:

2015-5-25_18-25-37-773779d9.png

Default terminal building is visible through the full scenery.

2015-5-25_18-25-17-7519aaa4.png

The default (?) scenery is below Home and completely covered ...

2015-5-25_18-26-22-5904c0a1.png

Same here, visible from top-down.

I am on P3Dv2.5 latest hotfix. I am using all FTX NA regions including Tongass Fjords. North America is enabled with FTX Central v2. The scenery library order is as suggested per FTX user guide v2. FTX entries are above Tongass Fjords:

scenery_library.png

I have removed SAK and then PAHO as per Tim Harris' instructions (FTXCv2 did not show them anymore afterwards).

Then I reinstalled first SAK (1.30), then SAK Patch 004, then the latest OrbX libraries, then PAHO 1.0, then I let FTXCv2 update Homer to v1.02, then I reinstalled the latest OrbX libs again (150331). I have searched my P3D installation for other Homer or PAHO files - only related files from OrbX came up - I don not have any other Homer scenery installed.
Finally AEC is enabled for PAHO with the Vector configurator.

I hope you would be able to shed some light on this mystery (at least to me). Let me know if I should post more data.

Thanks in advance for your help,

Best Regards

Frank

P.S. I am just figuring out how to upload images to this forum. I manage too small and I master too large (apologies, I need some more practice).

Hi Frank,

It looks like the default airport file is showing through based on the buildings and layout of the underlying taxiways. Could you take a screenshot of where the Homer airport folder is within your scenery library? The general order should be:

-Libraries

-Homer

-SAK

FTX Central should take care of all that but perhaps the individual order is out of sorts. In addition to that, if you could post a screenshot of the airport scenery folder (Prepar3D v2\ORBX\FTX_NA\FTX_AA_PAHO\Scenery) or a list of the files I can check to make sure all of the exclusion files and others are present.

Cheers,

Alex

Hi Alex,

here is the contents of the Homer scenery folder:

Directory of I:\LM\Prepar3Dv2\ORBX\FTX_NA\FTX_AA_PAHO\Scenery

26.05.2015  18:45    <DIR>          .
26.05.2015  18:45    <DIR>          ..
28.05.2014  03:30               464 000_Orbx_PAHO_exc_cvx.BGL
23.01.2015  22:56               394 000_Orbx_PAHO_exc_cvx_traffic.BGL
15.04.2014  05:43               112 000_Orbx_PAHO_exc_obj.BGL
26.05.2015  18:45                 0 contents.txt
30.01.2015  06:30             3'859 cvx_PAHO_flatten.bgl
23.01.2015  22:53             4'290 cvx_PAHO_road_traffic.BGL
09.05.2014  09:46             3'782 cvx_PAHO_shoreline.BGL
01.02.2015  03:05             1'712 Orbx_APX_5BL.BGL
01.02.2015  03:05               604 Orbx_APX_5BL_HW.BGL.OFF
03.02.2015  07:26            11'728 Orbx_APX_PAHO.bgl
01.02.2015  03:10               380 Orbx_PAHO_fuel_trigger.bgl
30.01.2015  03:57           490'998 Orbx_PAHO_GP.bgl
01.02.2015  03:08        53'393'893 Orbx_PAHO_lib.BGL
26.04.2015  18:35        17'073'189 Orbx_PAHO_mesh_5m.bgl
26.04.2015  19:44         5'841'711 Orbx_PAHO_mesh_5m_East.bgl
01.02.2015  03:10             1'948 Orbx_PAHO_PLC_airport.bgl
07.01.2015  03:54               577 Orbx_PAHO_PLC_beacon_ObjectFlow.xml
01.02.2015  03:10               476 Orbx_PAHO_PLC_clutter.bgl
30.01.2015  07:33             7'008 Orbx_PAHO_PLC_grass_ObjectFlow.xml
26.06.2014  02:19               964 Orbx_PAHO_PLC_lighting_ObjectFlow.xml
31.01.2015  22:42             2'760 Orbx_PAHO_PLC_PF2_1_ObjectFlow.xml.OFF
31.01.2015  22:42             5'191 Orbx_PAHO_PLC_PF2_2_ObjectFlow.xml
31.01.2015  22:42             7'597 Orbx_PAHO_PLC_PF2_3_ObjectFlow.xml.OFF
31.01.2015  22:03             3'984 Orbx_PAHO_PLC_PF2_terminal_ObjectFlow.xml
30.01.2015  18:35               364 Orbx_PAHO_PLC_snow_ObjectFlow.xml
01.02.2015  03:10               663 Orbx_PAHO_PLC_sound.bgl
01.02.2015  03:10               156 Orbx_PAHO_PLC_SPB.bgl
03.02.2015  01:41             1'116 Orbx_PAHO_PLC_static.bgl.OFF
03.02.2015  01:41             1'564 Orbx_PAHO_PLC_static_2.bgl
03.02.2015  01:41             2'012 Orbx_PAHO_PLC_static_3.bgl.OFF
03.02.2015  01:41               156 Orbx_PAHO_PLC_static_ai.bgl
03.02.2015  01:41               284 Orbx_PAHO_PLC_static_SPB.bgl
01.02.2015  03:10               156 Orbx_PAHO_PLC_terminal.bgl.OFF
01.02.2015  03:10               156 Orbx_PAHO_PLC_terminal_int.bgl
01.02.2015  03:10            21'660 Orbx_PAHO_PLC_town.bgl
31.01.2015  21:50            91'749 Orbx_PAHO_PLC_veg_ObjectFlow.xml
21.04.2015  03:40             6'665 Orbx_PAHO_PLC_windsock_ObjectFlow.xml
02.02.2015  03:21       351'654'493 Orbx_PAHO_PR_50cm.bgl
              38 File(s)    428'638'815 bytes

Here are screeshots of my scenery library, Homer is above the NA sceneries:

Scenery_lib03.png

Scenery_lib04.png

Thanks again for your help,

Best Regards

Frank

Thanks for the scenery library and file readouts. I always appreciate timestamps and file sizes included!

Everything looks in perfect order, but of course we know it's not which makes it all the more tricky. I've got a few ideas though. First, let's see if the default APX file is showing through SAK or if it just appears when Homer is activated. Un-tick Homer in the scenery library, restart the sim, and if you could post a screenshot that will give an idea of which APX file shows through. That'll indicate something wrong at the regional level.

Next, what is above your Orbx airport entries in your scenery library? It's a long shot that anything above the airport could cause the default APX to show through, but if you have a third party addon installed that includes a duplicate of the default APX then that would cause it to show.

Hello Alex,

Thank you for your continued assistance. I followed your advice and prepared more screenshots of the my scenery library:

Scenery_lib_above01.png

Scenery_lib_above02.png

I guess PANC and PAFA do not count as airports close enough to influence the Homer scenery - else I do not have any 3rd party or freeware airports close to this region.

Below you find some screenshots of how the scenery looks like when I was activating / deactivating Homer as you suggested:

Homer active:

PAHO-active.png

Homer inactive:

Homer-inactive_02.png

Homer inactive - a different perspective:

Homer-inactive01.png

This looks like the P3D default scenery would show through the SAK enhanced scenery (I only guess), hm very weird.

Cheers

Frank

Another thing I tried ...

... what would happen if I would rename the SAK enhanced Homer files in the FTX_NA_SAK05_SCENERY\scenery folder:

Directory of I:\LM\Prepar3Dv2\ORBX\FTX_NA\FTX_NA_SAK05_SCENERY\scenery
22.02.2014  00:45            15'466 ADE_FTX_SAK_PAHO.BGL_OFF
22.02.2014  00:45             3'053 ADE_FTX_SAK_PAHO_CVX.bgl_OFF
31.12.2012  01:48            11'612 FTX_SAK_objects_PAHO_PLC.bgl_OFF
18.03.2013  09:16             1'820 Orbx_SAK_PLC_Homer.bgl_OFF

So, the full Homer airport is inactive, and the SAK-enhanced Homer airport is inactive.

I restarted P3D and the scenery now shows what is the default airport I guess (never have seen it before to be honest):

Homer-inactive_HomerSAK-inactive0.png

Looks like the exclusion of the default Homer airport by SAK is not working (only guessing) and this would show through the full Homer airport?

I am confused ... but I am confident we'll get there.

Best Regards
Frank

From turning Homer on and off, and turning the SAK files on and off there is definitely another APX file somewhere in your install that is displaying at a higher priority than both SAK and Homer. Normally if you turn Homer off the regional SAK APX (AFCAD) file should show along with its structures which are in the files with "PLC" in the name that you toggled off. In this case, the SAK structures showed but not the SAK APX file, instead one resembling the default with some default structures tied to the APX showed up. 

One thing caught my eye in your scenery library, "US-AK Anchorage-Airport PAEN" and US-AK Anchorage-Terrain PAEN". PAEN is the ICAO for Kenai, just 50 miles up the peninsula from Homer. Could you try disabling that and posting the results? Possibly the PAFA one as well but I'm doubtful since it is so far away geographically. Perhaps the Aerosoft Anchorage scenery has some sort of large exclude or copies of the default airport APX files for nearby airports. 

Hi again,

Thank you for your answers; I was writing my second post late yesterday and had done a couple of other experiments that I did not refer to anymore since they did not change the situation.

I did in fact disable both AS airports (Anchorage and Fairbanks) and have seen no difference in how the Homer scenery was displayed. Thank you, Stewart, I read the post about the Anchorage compatibility and need to follow Holger's suggestions there as especially the coastline around PANC looks not so nice (Water floating up the shore...). But since this had no influence on how operations on PANC went I did not see a rush there (I own them since two weeks only).
Alex, you unveiled a typo in the way I name my addon-titles (even if payware I like to have them named my way - probably in the middle of the night I mixed up PANC with PAEN ...). So, Kenai would be the next on my list to be installed in P3D once it would become compatible with P3D (only a matter of time and resources I guess).

Now, what next? Alex, you think there would be another APX file somewhere in my install conflicting with Homer SAK and Homer full.

I did a couple of times scan this drive I:\ for files with *homer* or *PAHO* in it (everything which is P3D installation related sits on this drive and nothing else) and I did found only the OrbX related files with one exception "Homer-Theater..." which is an object or textures for one from the RTMM P3D-converted scenery library.

I think I remember that there is the airport-scanner scanner from scruffyduck. I think I need to give this tool a go and see what the outcome is. And I will disable everything that is above the OrbX stuff just to be sure. Btw. I never place anything into Addon Scenery\scenery since the control over these items is difficult (I will nevertheless check if any installer may have tried to trick me with this folder...).

I'll let you know later today about the outcome once I had the chance to access my computer at home.

Thank you and Best Regards

Frank

Glad to have been *some* help, Frank, just not for your immediate problem.  I, too, have both Anchorage and Fairbanks.  Fairbanks offers no conflicts at all, since it lies outside the FTX SAK area.  The issues with Anchorage are easily solved with the advice from Holger; you have three choices depending on how you like the fit.  My installation looks great.

Stew

Hi Stewart,

Thanks a lot, good to know that there is a working solution for Anchorage. Which of the three did you chose?

Other than that I am still experimenting with my Homer scenery. Beginning with the status of my post yesterday 9:23PM I only re-activated the regional Homer of SAK in my scenery library; all other 3rd-party addons above OrbXLibs has been deactivated as well. This is how P3Dv2 came back after a restart:

HomerSAK-active_PAHO-inactive_all-3rd-pa

HomerSAK-active_PAHO-inactive_all-3rd-pa

Looks like the SAK Homer airport to me but definitely an altitude problem; btw. Vector AEC is disabled for Homer and was disabled all the time. With Vector AEC enabled for Homer the AC would sit below runway level after P3D startup at RWY 03.

Now, with Homer full activated again (Homer-SAK active, all 3rd-party still deactivated):

HomerSAK-active_PAHO-active_all-3rd-part

The ground has raised and Homer looks to be entirely replaced (good), but still some elevation issues ...

Btw. airport scanner from scruffyduck (a big thank you to him for his great tools!) shows only two PAHO airports in my install:

airport_scanner.png

In the thread called PAHO sunk you advise zoran to

locate ADE_FTX_SAK_PAHO_elevation_adjustment.BGL". Make sure it is set to .BGL and not to .OFF

Mine was set to OFF; quite a lot of the NA elevation adjustment files are set to OFF in my install, only few are active indeed. I checked again in FTXC2 and NA is active.

These are the properties of my respective file:

file_props.png

I have renamed it to BGL now and this is the result with Homer; I cannot believe this...

HomerSAK-active_PAHO-active_all-3rd-part

This looks for the first time like Homer should ... no second runway, no buildings showing through.

I wonder if this has to do something with FTXC2 and the order I installed SAK and Homer and the OrbX libs:

Then I reinstalled first SAK (1.30), then SAK Patch 004, then the latest OrbX libraries, then PAHO 1.0, then I let FTXCv2 update Homer to v1.02, then I reinstalled the latest OrbX libs again (150331).

Looking at the fact that despite NA is set to active in FTXC2 but most of the FTX elevation adjustment files for North America in scenery\world\scenery are set to OFF what would your advice be?
I will go and re-activate all 3rd party addons tomorrow (but IMO only the AS PANC and PAFA are close enough to make me start thinking that there could be an influence). And I am going to cycle to Global and then back to NA and will check again about the elevation adjustment files; but for now it's going to be too late - my workday tomorrow will be as hard as debugging this thing ...

Would be happy if there would be some feedback to the install order I cited above.

Cheers and thanks a lot for your patience,

Frank

I don't see anything wrong with your install order, Frank.  It looks like renaming that .bgl file did the trick.

And I'll have to check which choice I made for Anchorage.  I think I stayed with the Orbx photoreal version, but will have to check.

Stew

Hi Frank,

Very curious, I didn't think of the elevation file off being an issue as it seemed like a third party conflict but sometimes the elevation files don't get renamed properly. Usually cycling FTX Central between regions will end up getting it right. 

As for the installation order, that should work right. Homer doesn't really need a library refresh at the end, but still good practice to do so. Let us know the results of re-enabling everything at a higher priority than Homer. If you locate a specific scenery item we can look further into what the conflict may be so compatibility notes can be put out.

Hi Alex,

finally, a result! I have found the "culprit". By reactivating my addons above the FTX scenery one by one I came across the entry for KMIA (#41 in my scenery library, see above). I needed to activate and reactivate that entry a couple of times until I believed that it really made with my scenery what can be seen in my first three screenshots.

But, it is not the KMIA scenery that is faulty - no rumors please! Instead have a look at the path in the screenshot of my scenery lib. It took me three days looking at my own post to see it: after KMIA the path reads "I:\LM\Prepar3Dv2" ???

To be honest, if this was the LatinVFR installer or if it was me I don't know - I don't remember if I needed to manually add the scenery to the library. By editing the title of an entry the path of the entry normally stays untouched. But I am not excluding myself to potentially have done something stupid by accident. I have corrected the path to KMIA (which works nice too now. I had never seen the scenery before - a brand new purchase).

Finally, what happened? P3D did let pass this entry into the scenery library because the P3D root folder contains a 'scenery' folder. Just to be sure I have checked my I:\LM\Prepar3Dv2\Scenery folder, there is all the default sub folders but not any other file. So, this empty scenery folder now being placed in the middle of the library caused a weird artifact ... who would have thought about something like this ???

Anyway, Alex, you sort of have been right thinking there was conflicting scenery and we could find the SAK exclusion files to be set incorrectly (they are all fine now after again cycling to Global and back to NA).

Everything seems to be sorted out now and I need to thank you for staying with me trying to find a solution!

Cheers and have a great weekend

Frank

Yes, this ticket is solved :D

Interesting, first time I've seen something like that. It suppose in that case it would load all of the defaults at a higher priority than any existing scenery. Definitely will bookmark this for any future similar tickets. Glad to see it got sorted in the end ;)

Cheers,

Alex

Archived