Coastline Error, blocky land textures, So.Cal USA

Stoopy

Greetings,  hate to throw a problem out to you but I sure would like to know what went wrong and how to fix this.

Just very recently (noticed it today) I see land textures where I should have ocean water.  If it matters, I just recently purchased and installed Palm Springs KPSP.   However, the area I've noticed that is afflicted is outside that scenery area, specifically I see as shown in the pictures below (one good one taken earlier for comparison) at the Palos Verdes Peninsula in Southern California.  

Coordinates are LAT: N33° 45.41'  LON: W118° 27.28'

I'm running FSX standard, with SP1/SP2/Acceleration Pack, fairly new install, with ORBX products as shown in my signature, plus FEX and REX Overdrive.  Only a few payware addon planes (learning my lesson form earlier installs, I'm trying to keep things simple and uncomplicated).

I'm running FTX Global BASE and Vector, also have NorCal and PNW, plus AU Blue.   All versions are patched up to current levels.

Here are screenshots - first one is without the problem, I saved a flight with this view since i was curious what different FTX layers did to certain areas in the sim:

Normal:

LandSeaProb_PalosVerdes_Good01_zpseosime

Now looks like:

LandSeaProb_PalosVerdes_Bad01_zps4pwhojg

Here's another shot, looking north toward Santa Monica, Redondo beach should be way over to the right but instead we now have land textures getting in the way of the surfing and diving spots...

LandSeaProb_PalosVerdes_Bad02_zpsx4v4m9a

Assistance is greatly appreciated.  Thanks in advance!

Thank you for the information.   I did as specified, and renamed ORBX\FTX_VECTOR\FTX_VECTOR_CVX\scenery\1619_WTR_Waterbodies.OFF to 1619_WTR_Waterbodies.bgl.

Unfortunately the problem remains (see below screenshot).  

Having read the full thread, and seeing that the file rename did not work for some other folks, I also decided to try re-installing FTX Vector 1.20.  That had no effect either.  I rebooted to make sure any file caches were cleared, and tried enabling different ORBX scenery areas including Default FSX, no change.  Hmmmm. :/     KPSP is still installed.

Looking forward to another suggestion.  I'm surprised this has apparently been a known problem since November 2014 with no fix updated into the KPSP download yet. If you need a guinea pig to test a better fix or patch, I'm happy to oblige and provide feedback.

LandSeaProb_PalosVerdes_Bad03_zpsdg6xfi1

OK, Fixed, but wow, it was a weird fix.

When I first renamed the 1619_WTR_Waterbodies file from OFF to BGL I did not notice that the file extension crept in there twice and was actually "1619_WTR_Waterbodies.bgl.bgl".  The scenery database rebuilt, taking a heckuva long time to do so, when it stil wasn't fixed, I went and found the error, the scenery database rebuilt again (more quickly) and the issue was still not corrected.   That's when I reinstalled FTX Global Vector 1.20 again, and when it still wasn't fixed, I made the post above - as you can see, everything was OK but it still didn't work for some reason.

So having had a few beers to think it over, I figured why not go reproduce the original error and then correct it properly without making the mistake I made, and see what happens.  So I purposely renamed the file to "1619_WTR_Waterbodies.OFF", launched FSX, watched it go through the lengthy scenery database rebuild again, still had the problem, then I exited FSX, renamed the file back to "1619_WTR_Waterbodies.bgl" (without the erroneous ".bgl.bgl" extension), launched FSX again, got another quick scenery database rebuild, and....Voila.....it friggin' worked!

Go figure.  Guess it was just all about getting the scenery database to rebuild successfully one more time from this particular error state, even though it had already done so once with a fully correct file after I found my mistake.

Thanks for the fix.

Archived