using a 4k tv as a monitor for p3d and fsx?

Culley44

hi guys just curious if anyone is using a 4k tv for flight simming,i was looking at a 55 inch 4k for p3d and wondered if my 970 would be able to handle it,i know alot of you have talked about it in the past,but not sure if anyone said anything about 4k, any suggestions

I dont think so Brett. My titan X is struggling to do P3D to my settings at 4K, and while waiting for nvidia to write an optimised SLI profile for p3d SLI isnt really helping me. LM have improved SLI but by improved it means, no longer a penalty to use it, so it now works, but its not scaling right. 4K at fluid frames is the realm of SLI IMHO, atleast for current generation GPUs.

Also if you get a TV and not a monitor, keep in mind youll want 1:1 pixel mapping mate some TVs dont map correctly

Yeah, I agree.

I'm running 1920 x 1080p projectors on GTX 980's with P3D V 2.5.

I have pretty much all the sliders to the right, and the frames to unlimited.

I'm getting 40 to 50 frames in most areas and 25 to 30 in dense areas, so imagine multiplying that 4 times.

I'm only surmising, but I think it would bring any GPU to it's knees, my friend.

Frank

I already ordered it,so I guess it will go on my wall

I have a 50 inch 120hz 1080p TV right now,I wonder if the new one should be used for TV and the current one for flight simming and games, the new one is also 3d at 240hz.wish I would have know sooner,I paid 1800 bucks for it from amazon.

Ron Ainscough seems to be running well with 4K. I would think things like AA could be set lower and still get better looking images with such resolution. At 1080P, SGSS is the only way for me to get decent AA in P3D with my GTX980. DSR, MSAA and MFAA in any combination I've tried just don't look good. At 4K, one should be able to get nice graphics without SGSS, at least based on Rob's videos. When my TV dies (my simpit is also my home theater) I will probably upgrade to 4K more for flight sim than TV content.

well my original goal was to use the 4k tv for gaming,not just p3d,i play several otherr games,my current 29 inch ultra wide monitor to my laptop for efb asn,i will test the 1080p 50 inch on my pc and see how it looks, and also try the new one out and see what kind of results i get, thankfully i already have a handful of 3d movies i could use for the new one.

One thing should be taken into account if you intend to buy a 4k TV and use it as a PC-monitor:

The full colour mode 4:4:4 Chroma, mandatory to use a TV as a PC-monitor, will be displayed in a 4K resolution / 60Hz in HDMI2.0 (GPU NV 970/980) and only with the newest 4k TV generation with internally updated chipsets, e.g. Samsung new TV´s from 2015.

Please have a look into this thread for further informations for those who have a NVidia GPU:

https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/777438/geforce-900-series/gtx-980-and-samsung-4k-tv-hu8550-60hz-works-but-not-getting-4-4-4-full-rgb-output/110/ 

Wulf

Wolf is right, that is vital as you will be stuck at 30hz otherwise and in other games you will need more than 30 fps.

I actually run 4k on a 970 at approx 30fps unlimited. I mostly fly a2a stuff, gliders and ngx and it runs very well with sliders pretty high, maybe not quite full right but one click over apart from in the ngx.

When I fly the ngx I use robs settings to avoid oom and only get low to mid 20s when low down and 30 odd fps when up high. This lower fps doesn't matter as much in the ngx as it does with ga flying.

I think part of the reason you can do this with 9xx series cards is because p3d doesn't use them as much as it could so you are relying on your cpu as well. Mine is clocked at 4.7.

Other games I play at the moment are limited due to time so it is only lotro and elite dangerous. Both of which use hardware much more efficiently so therefore I can get 60fps from my setup.

To be brutally honest I do want more fps in prepar3d but not by much, having a huge screen in 4k is absolutely worth it.

Chris

well the verdict is in, i am running full 4k with a gtx 970 with p3d set to high settings and able to keep between 30-40 fps at 60hz, no turning around now,i can't run ultra on other games ,but high is pretty darrn good at 4x 1080p on a 55 inch screen, sitting 5 feet or so away.

well the verdict is in, i am running full 4k with a gtx 970 with p3d set to high settings and able to keep between 30-40 fps at 60hz, no turning around now,i can't run ultra on other games ,but high is pretty darrn good at 4x 1080p on a 55 inch screen, sitting 5 feet or so away.

Sounds good Brett.

What model TV did you get?

gb.

Keep testing in different use cases and yoill see that result isnt universal mate. In particular, flying fast

Archived