Global Freeware Packs up date anomalies

spud

1. CYPB Runway is shown as closed (X both ends) in FSX
2. CYGH Elevation on slight plateau.  The plateau disappears with North America turned off as noted for KFMN.   Not in Vector Config. Tool.
3. 33N Slight Elevation problem causes grass patches on runway.  Not in VECTOR Config. Tool.
4. KALM Elevation on slight plateau.  Not in VECTOR Config. Tool.
5. KFMN Elevation on bad plateau IF Global 2010 FTX MESH, FS Global 2010 - North America is turned on.  With North America on there is also a lake on a pedestal next to the airport.  North America turned off the problem is not present.

I assume you mean CYBP Brooks - I have checked and it looks ok to me. I also checked CYGH with North America enabled. It looks good although the airport is elevated above the river. This is correct. Do you have any mesh installed as this might affect the terrain surrounding the airport. Also pictures might help diagnose the problem.

Larry

Larry,

CYPB runway is marked as closed with X's on both ends which indicates the runway is unusable.

CYGH on a slight plataue is around just the parimeter of the airport and not on a hill above the river.  And North America turned off is referring to The Global 2010 FTX MESH  Global 2010 - North America section not the ORBX North America 'full-fat region'.

Screen shots of KFMN with and without the Pilots 2010 FTX MESH North America section active.

KFMN

North America 2010 FTX MESH Global 2010 turned off.

GCS_058.jpg

North Americ 2010 FTX MESH Global 2010 turned on.
GCS_059.jpg

Not sure on CYBP and CYGH. I can't reproduce this. Brooks main Runway (12-30) has chevrons in the overrun area and Threshold stripes and numbers. The Gravel runway is unmarked. Fort Good Hope has no plateau except the small gravel piles north of the field. Perhaps you have another scenery interfering with CYGH, although I checked it with UTX and it seems to work ok but with some small anomalies along the river. I can't help with KFMN as I didn't do it, probably Neil will reply. You could try downloading the file again and see if it fixes the runway problems but terrain is often hard to diagnose. You could run the AEC configurator in Vector although I don't think there is a correction for Fort Good Hope.

Larry

Larry,

it only took my old brain pan about 5 read throughs of the above posts to figure out that on the first airport (CYPB) listed I indeed wrote down the ICAO code incorrectly and that is why I'm seeing a dirt strip marked as closed.  The correct airport CYBP is without any anomalies in my FSX installation.  ("There are none so blind as those who will not see.")

The plateau at CYGH (Ft. Good Hope) is only a few feet high in my install but I do not have any other scenery anywhere near the location so I don't think it is an interference problem.  I suspect a slight difference is caused by the Pilots Global 2010 FTX MESH I have installed although it is advertised as compatible with ORBX scenery the airport in question is not in an ORBX region so that could be the reason turning off the North America entry in the Scenery Library eliminates the slight plateau.  Not going to worry about it in this case.

As for KFMN it is the only serious problem I see in all the new airports and as you say it is one of Neil's additions and is located in an area with signicient elevation changes.  I don't think Neil is running the Pilots FTX compatible MESH for developing his airports and that may explain why my installation exhibits the anomaly shown in the screen shots that can be eliminated by turning off the North America section of the MESH.

Hi Spud,

I indeed don't run Pilot's mesh, not because I don't think it's an excellent product but because adding the surrounding flattens to make it look correct with Pilot's 2010 mesh would REALLY mess up the airports for those who don't have it.  This way everyone can use it.  These airports are meant to be used with FTXG set to "Global"

Cheers, Neil

Neil,

I thought that was the case on the MESH.  By and large it works fine with just a few exceptions like KFMN shown in my screen shots.  Of course I fly mostly in North America and like to have that MESH active but on occasion it does seem to cause some elevation problem as shown.  Hawaii addon scenery from another developer has some minor problems with airport elev. with North America turned on too.  Just one of those "have to live with it" things FSX is famous for.

Of course the main problem is that airports must be flat in FSX. I spend quite a bit of time adjusting the surrounding terrain to match the airport elevation.  Like Neil I do not use any add on mesh which allows the airports to match reasonably well for most users. Glad you figured out the problem with Brooks as this was very perplexing. Enjoy the airports.

Larry

Archived