Error 103 CTD when set to Europe

drobnisd

I am experiencing a CTD when FTX Central is set to Europe.  I receive a box with ERROR 103, and when that is cleared, a message D3DERR_DEVICELOST.  It is most easily produced at Heathrow, but I can see it at other airports as well.  When I set FTX Central to GLOBAL, there is no problem--except for not having full EU Scenery!  When I set to GLOBAL and check the HYBRID box, I see the crash  This symptom appeared after I have been using GLOBAL for some weeks, and tried to return to EUROPE, so I cannot associate it with any particular change or event.

I have tried turning off Orbx ENGLAND in FSX Scenery--no change in symptom.  I have tried reinstalling Orbx ENGLAND, including all patches.  I have tried updating Orbx Libraries.  All no change.  I can tell that the CTD is coming when I launch Free Flight, and see FSX slip from Full Screen to Windowed mode when Scenery shows 80% loaded.

I really enjoy all Orbx areas, and am looking forward to Norway in EU, but not if I cannot fly there!  Any help appreciated.

Best--

---Dan Drobnis

I came upon these same items with a Google search.  While the first indicates what is going on, it does not give much clue as to why.  The second appears to relate to SQL queries.  Neither indicates why FSX should produce the symptom when FTX Central is set to EU, but not when it is set to GLOBAL.

Thanks for the thought.

I spoke too soon.  The clue was found in following the trail of Wolter's first url.  It appears that my error message was resulting from a Loss of Focus as FSX was loading in Maximized mode when Free Flight was invoked from the startup screen.  In case anyone else ever sees this symptom, I cured it by the following:

1.  Change properties of the FSX icon from Normal Window to Maximized.

2.  This caused Free Flight to come up without error in Normal Window mode.  Go figure.

3.  When in the normal window, use ALT to bring up the upper tool bar, select View, select Maximized.

4.  Quit FSX.

5.  FSX now properly enters Maximized when Free Flight is selected without the Error 103 regardless of FTX Central region.

Why the FTX Central selection of Global avoided the FSX error, and Europe caused it to appear is a complete mystery to me.  However, the transition in FSX to Normal Window and back to Maximized seemed to reset whatever FSX gremlin had been disturbed, and I am now a happy camper.

Loss of Focus is a problem at my age no matter what I am doing.  Thanks to Wolter for restoring my Faith and Focus, at least in FSX.

Cheers--

---Dan

Archived