Leg 12 - Setting foot in WA (20 shots)

Following on from our last landing at YNUB, I had a cuppa in the roadhouse and found a couple of nice Nullarbor Traveller bumper stickers on the shelf..  So I stuck them on the aeroplane, fired it up, and got ready to go...

Posted Image

While I was doing my engine run up checks, some local roos decided to take advantage of the cool breeze while they checked out their likeness on my tail..

Posted Image

En route to the WA border and Eucla airstrip..

Posted Image

Posted Image

A quick look at our sponsors while we wait for something interesting in the terrain..

Posted Image

Not much out there...

Posted Image

Great textures though!

Posted Image

Is there a speed limit on this highway?  If there is, my shadow is going to lose his licence..

Posted Image

Eucla in sight..

Posted Image

Posted Image

"Got any 100LL on tap here?"

Posted Image

Haven't seen a car in hours, so I guess its safe enough to use the "bitumen strip"

Posted Image

Turning around to check out the Eucla town strip..

Posted Image

There it is!  Not landing here this time round, but I've landed there a couple of times before..  I personally think the runways are about 3 times longer than they would ever need to be!  I reckon you could land the A380 there...

Posted Image

Setting up the heading and altitude to take us to Madura..

Posted Image

Yep.  Really not much out here..

Posted Image

After 97NM of not very much at all, I spotted a brown scar on the desert..

Posted Image

Using my binoculars to check the windsock.. Interestingly, its 180º opposite to what the wind was at Nullarbor Roadhouse..

Posted Image

On finals..

Posted Image

And parked at the windsock ready for the next leg..

Posted Image

The legs are going to be a bit longer from here on, with the next 3 legs being about 175NM each.. Ahh, the joys of the Australian Outback..

It sure is big sky country out there.

Well mate, you have another WA strip on your way around to stop it with the recent release of YCUN.

Cheers and thanks for sharing this latest leg.

Archived