Parked CPus

lawrence aldrich

I've noticed when task manager in Windows 7 is on I see several "parked Cpus".

Under normal use (no FSX or P3d running) they stay parked and system runs just fine.

When running P3d, for example, a look at the task manager shows all the parked cores still parked but suddenly they are all running.

Apparently this is good...since my rig runs just fine in both P3d and FSX.

Just out of curiosity.......anybody know why they show parked when they are running under sym use.

Seems like that's the only time they are.

Silly question, maybe ????????

Whenever teh CPU load drops, windows parks CPU to save power. This can lead to stutters when the load suddenly increases as the CPU must be unparked. There is a way to keep them unparked which can improve response time.Requires register edit. Funnily enough the HT cores seem to always register as parked.

there are some free tools to unpark cores, i personally would'nt use high performance because i prefer when my pc is idle that it still sits at 800mhz across all cores/threads, i wouldnt want my cpu to sit at 4.6 ghz 24/7,i could be wrong but i would find a tool that unparks the core's for you.

i don't think you will see any benefit in fsx or p3d, but i used this tool  http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=392839 good luck

Without P3d running my parked cores show no activity.

With P3d running, they still read parked but show all kinds of activity....all of them. 

So......I guess the machine knows what it is doing in spite of me, because my installation runs perfectly across the board.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it..........perhaps good advice here.

Archived