More RAM

John York

Hi Guys

I've got a 2.4 Ghz Q6600 Intel Core 2 Quad Processor slightly overclocked to 2.80 with 4GB Ram.  I've got a big heat sink for extra cooling as I have a 750w power supply.  Oh, and also a 1GB nVidia 8800 Gt Graphics Card. 

What I would like to do is get the RAM up a bit more, say to 6GB, or even better (although I know it can't be used presently) 8GB.

The reason is, I want to be able to get the scenery appearing sharp a lot further out by using a LOD Radius of say, 8 to 10000000.  Presently I use only 4.500000 for FSX and 5.500000 for everything else.

Before launching into doing this, I would appreciate what I know will be your knowledgeable comments please.

Many thanks

John

Exactly  XP Pro WILL use up to 4 Gb but not actually show it  ie the OS won't see it but Memory usage meter I have does.

But you will require Vista 64 to utilise more than 4 Gb

Now While I run many different programs when editing image and so on but even in Photoshop I rarely exceed 3.5 Gb assigned RAM  and this is only when I have multiple LARGE images open I mean in excess of 5000 Mb a piece.

How Some games and Sims access the RAM and utilise it is a mystery in some instances.

The bottom line is you will need 64 Bit Capable system to go above 4 Gb DDR RAM.

The more you will use (let say 8.5000000) the load time will be very long, I have a fast CPU (4 core) clocked at 3.82GHz and with this kind of number it will take me 2 minutes to load everything so with your CPU by the time your done loading you will have to shave again.......just kidding not that long.

Yep as said, you'll need a 64 bit OS, but providing you have one installed then i would reccommend going to 8GB of DDR2 1066mhz (8500) as this will run at the same bus frequency as your CPU (1066). A said you may not need all of 8GB, but DDR2 is so cheap now, there's no reason not to.

As you're in old blighty too mate i'll even drop you a link to the very same RAM i bought recently. I got 2 of these for a total of 8GB for just under £80, runs very well, very stable and comes with some very efficient heat spreaders fitted. I have the same CPU as you do, but over clocked to 3.6Ghz (with some serious cooling)

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/148859#

Russ.

Thanks for your replies fellers.  Perhaps I should have said;  Yes I do have Vista 64x.

I may well take you up on your kind offer Russ and thanks for the info you've already given.  It will be invaluable when I talk to the guy who will be putting it in for me because although he knows how to do it, I doubt he will necessarily be aware of what's best for my system.  I like the idea of the heat spreaders as that may help mine out a bit.

I think space in the cabinet may be a problem so we may have to take that into consideration so I'll get the details from the link you gave me.

Many thanks mate.

John

Archived