Is this blurriness normal?

arnobg

I have been having a lot of blurry texture issues lately, and when I see all these amazing screenshots I wonder why I am not getting the same quality. My system is not low end by any means, is this normal?

i7 4790k OC 4.4ghz

GTX770 2gb

Un-tweaked .cfg except for highmemfix

2015-2-5_11-2-59-811_zpscca2897f.png

2015-2-5_11-4-59-846_zpsd57553e0.png

There are two things to bear in mind when it comes to the custom scenery areas, like Palm Springs...

Is your simulator set to use higher resolution textures? In your fsx.cfg or p3d.cfg, you should change the default TEXTURE_MAX_LOAD=1024 to read TEXTURE_MAX_LOAD=2048... this allows the sim to make use of higher resolution textures, otherwise high resolution textures will be down-sampled to 1024 for display (you can also set it to 4096, but this can lead to issues, and Orbx products do not use such high resolutions anyway).

Secondly, bear in mind that any photo real scenery areas, like those provided in some airport packs, are subject to the quality of the commercially available data... That and the fact that the ultra high resolution data is often prohibitively expensive, both means that the photographic base may be at a lower resolution than the surrounding FTX Global base scenery tiles.

For example, at Palm Springs, the airport and immediate vicinity have a resolution of 30cm per pixel, and the surrounding coverage has a resolution of 1m per pixel (page 9 of the KPSP user manual). So your screenshots look pretty much as they should for the area in question (1m per pixel).

You might also want to check to see if you are using Anisotropic filtering, or Trilinear filtering for textures... in your settings screen, below the resolution setting is a drop down menu. Anisotropic filtering helps to reduce any blur in the distance.

There are two things to bear in mind when it comes to the custom scenery areas, like Palm Springs...

Is your simulator set to use higher resolution textures? In your fsx.cfg or p3d.cfg, you should change the default TEXTURE_MAX_LOAD=1024 to read TEXTURE_MAX_LOAD=2048... this allows the sim to make use of higher resolution textures, otherwise high resolution textures will be down-sampled to 1024 for display (you can also set it to 4096, but this can lead to issues, and Orbx products do not use such high resolutions anyway).

Secondly, bear in mind that any photo real scenery areas, like those provided in some airport packs, are subject to the quality of the commercially available data... That and the fact that the ultra high resolution data is often prohibitively expensive, both means that the photographic base may be at a lower resolution than the surrounding FTX Global base scenery tiles.

For example, at Palm Springs, the airport and immediate vicinity have a resolution of 30cm per pixel, and the surrounding coverage has a resolution of 1m per pixel (page 9 of the KPSP user manual). So your screenshots look pretty much as they should for the area in question (1m per pixel).

You might also want to check to see if you are using Anisotropic filtering, or Trilinear filtering for textures... in your settings screen, below the resolution setting is a drop down menu. Anisotropic filtering helps to reduce any blur in the distance.

Thanks for the quick reply with good information. I am in fact using 1024, since I was getting many OOM errors in dense areas with 4096. I did not realize ORBX products used a max of 2048, I will try this suggestion out first. I also have my scenery detail sliders maxed out with the exception of water and autogen, so I am getting the full detail minus the texture resolution. I am also using Anisotropic filtering.

I guess I am mostly not happy with how slow textures "sharpen" as I am near them. I am familiar with LOD and that's not exactly what I am describing. It's like my system is "behind" in sharpening/loading close textures.

Archived