Leave All My Orbx Products 'checked' in FSX

cmitch81

I had some CTD issues some months ago which I resolved by unchecking in FSX/Options/scenery ANY ADDON SCENERY that I was not going to use on a flight! Someone at AVSIM said it had to do with some virtual memory being over taxed by scenery (VAS?).

I have recently added FSG mesh, FTX Global, vector, NA PNW demo, and NA NCalifornia and the airport that came with the demo. I have been leaving ALL of these checked in FSX!

After several weeks of using these products, my CTD issue re-emerged on a flight where I was also having to use so other add-on including OZ Death Vally and MSE Nevada.

Can/should I uncheck, in FSX scenery, the Orbx add-ons (in this case my PNW demo) generally when I am not using them? I understand that Base, Global, Vector need to stay checked thought I have unchecked them for parts of the world where I do not fly.

Thanks guys!

Hi there:

There are many options as well as opinions what's good and what not and a lot of people who know what they're actually talking about.

I like things simple and I'm always unticking the areas I'm not flying or working in. In any case, the sceneries are loading much faster than if I have all the regions and airports ticked in my Scenery Configurator. As I'm currently designing something for NA, I even moved all the regions and associated airports to another drive (also to save some disk space), thus disabling them. That makes it possible to load the airport and the area I'm working on only. And the loading times are just a fraction what it would be otherwise.

Of course you can't "uncheck" Base as it is a texture replacement. But should you fly - an example - in NoCal ONLY, you don't have to have activated England, Australia, NZ - or Global and Vector for that matter as the NoCal has all that already built in, incl. the mesh. Falling asleep yet? :)

I think photoscenery does load all the time no matter where you are flying so that will make a big difference to your VAS usage. MSE is photoscenry isn't it? so that should be unticked unless you're flying there.

You can untick FTX stuff in the scenery manager in FSX with no bad effect - I do that when I want to use my UK photoscenery and don't want my addon FTX airports to show (I have some others that fit in better to the photoscenery background). Just untick them in the scenery manager and they no longer appear.

I've been watching VAS pretty closely lately in FSX DX9 and, from what I've seen, hand placed scenery, once loaded, does not unload...it seems to stay held in memory...if you do fly close enough to it then it loads.  That means airports, antennas...hand placed city objects.  If that is correct, then disabling custom airports/cities that you're overflying would make sense.  Since the custom hand-placed stuff would be, largely, replaced with autogen (which looks like it's being actively released) then you would see fewer VAS issues.  At least it's a good theory to try out. 

I don't know how FSX DX10 or P3D does.  They may do better managing hand-placed.

Gregg

Archived