Running fsx on it's own drive

Adam

That is what I do. No downsides at all, other than having to do a reinstall of FSX or to update the registry to point to the new drive letter.

Benefits - much quicker defrags and if you have a dedicated, fast, small HD you'll get good performance. The best solution is to use your RAID controlller to create a seperate RAID-0 drive using two 72GB 10,000 Velociraptors, for a combined 135GB FSX drive. If you add a 1GB video card it pretty much cures blurries.

I'm also about to do a reinstall. I have my OS on one raptor and have two more 74gb ready for RAID. Do I want to have everything FSX on the same seperate drive or is there an advantage to having FSX one drive and addons on another?

Tim.

Everything FSX on the same drive, although for some mega-sized photoreal product consuming hundreds of GB there perhaps an advantage in having them installed on a dedicate scenery drive. Since I only use FSX with FTX and addon aircraft, I have them all installed on the FSX drive. The one exception to this could be environment addons like REX and FEX, which I believe install into your boot drive by default, although you should have a choice of where to install them.

I have utilized different methods and I can say there is IMHO no advantage running on a separate drive unless you run a small "C:\" Partition and all other programing stored elsewhere.

You can keep all your FSX programing all in the same place, which is not only smart but prudent.

I personally will not run RAID in any form other than RAID 5 as it is the only one that actually has any redundancy.

As for speed it is debatable whether a separate drive will have any advantage, but then again I NEVER use normal convention in system setup. I prefer to have All my program Files logically arranged.

Thanks Guys,

I'll throw it all in together on the Raptors. I've sort of been waiting for the SP3 DVD before I do the whole reinstall but I think maybe I'll just take the plunge after easter. SP2 will make the whole process a lot simpler anyway.

Tim.

• 2 weeks later...

One of the advantages often overlooked of a separate drive for separate jobs is that each can be worked on in isolation so that in the case of mess ups, only that drive is affected.  That's also true if a drive becomes damaged.  All you have to do is replace the stuff on the new drive.

I have four quite modestly sized drives by todays standards plus an external which backs up the lot.  The other drives are C - all the system programs and office.  F - all things FSX.  G - all things photo real scenery.  H - all saved downloads, photography and back up.

Works well and very convenient.

John

Archived