I'll be retexturing the Leonardo Maddog cockpit, anybody interested in doing this with me?

Mac_Maddog88

I'm looking for people to take on this project with me, and I don't really suspect it will be that difficult. After all, it's pretty much the same thing as doing an external repaint, right, only inside? 

Going to put this up front, I'm not doing this for any kind of payment or to get any money out of it. I intend to release this as freeware for all who fly this wonderful simulation. The MD80 is such an iconic aircraft, and Leonardo has surely done it justice. It deserves a fresh coat of paint.

A second thing I want to say, if anybody who has done repaints, scenery designers, or maybe even whoever did the retextured cockpits for Carenado planes such as the Mooney here at ORBX, please do not hesitate to give me any criticism, instruction, or tips on what I'm trying to do. I'll need some help, and it makes sense to ask the perfect Flight Sim community we have here.

This is my first venture into texturing. I've never done a repaint before or anything like that. That being said, I'm going to be honest and say that I don't really know what I'm doing, but learning as I go along. That three step course of action I plan on taking to repaint the cockpit is,

1. As my father works in the airline industry, we have easy access to simulators. We plan on finding an MD-80 simulator and getting all the pictures we can, shots of every angle and every little detail so I can have more than enough source photos and reference pictures to use. 

2. Resize the original texture sheets to have a larger, higher resolution canvas to work with. I'll then be able to paste pictures I've edited in photoshop over the original textures. OBVIOUSLY, this will not work for all parts of the cockpit. I'm mainly thinking of this as a method of getting better pictures of say, jet manuals, smaller panels, etc. 

3. Release the retexture as freeware and fly the Maddog like it was meant to be flown!

This will take awhile between getting pictures, getting it to look nice, etc. My goal of posting this here is to gather interest in the project, see the demand for this, and to see if anybody wants to help out with the texturing. I'd be very happy if anybody who's done repaints before or is familiar with it could help out and maybe even give me some advice.

-MODS- If any of you see any legal issues with this, whatever ones there may be, please inform me. I don't want to be doing something illegal and stopping me before I get started to point out any issues would be great. 

Thanks, hope I can bring this plane up to date for MD-80 fans like myself!

-Cheers,

Mac

I'd suggest not doing this as any kind of joint project as everybody works differently.  You just need to be comfortable with working in something like Photoshop and have a go and using the various re-paint forums to ask for help when needed.

As you've said this will be your first attempt at texturing, I would suggest having a practice by modifying a default aircraft first (make a copy of course!) and see how you get on.  Once you're comfortable with the effects you see after modifying something simple, moving on to a more complicated cockpit won't be hard at all; after all, the parts are already mapped out for you on the current textures, so it's just a case of increasing the resolution and adding in your photo layers and editing them.

Good luck.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived