miloguy

just wondering 

I have an asus  desktop pc 

it has windows 8.1 ,8 gig ram 2 tb hard drive 

is an asus  K30AD M31AD  series

intel core  i7 477OS CPU @ 3.10 ghz  

I know it has a 350 watt psu , which I know I should upgrade

and a GT 620 Nvidia Geforce , thinking of getting the 900 series gtx cards

just waiting to see if the price will drop a bit (at least in australia)..

I want to get into the pmdg 777/737 planes and what  ever orbx software , rex texture's and weather etc

I want to get back into fsx and hopefully also p3d down the track..

and to be able to enjoy it rather than be frustrated with things...

milo

Hi,

sorry to say that, but that PC is not worth to upgrade.

CPU-Speed is to slow, you need a I5 or I7/xxxxK wich can be overclocked.

For this PC you need a bigger Power-supply a bigger display-card a bigger cpu and another mainboard.

So its better to get a new pc like this one and use your one to sell used or used for other application over simconnect and widefs.

For PMDG and good scenery-and fun with that-you need that.

Hi Milo

Fightsimming IS an exercise in frustration, always been since day 1 :lol: !  You set the bar high, at some point you'll have to compromise. 

IMO, you may be disappointed throwing a 900 into a 3.1 Ghz computer (even with a 3.9 GHz turbo) if you're aiming at flying PMDG heavies with all the goodies around. It certainly will help a bit , specially if you're in DX10 FSX or DX10/11 P3D (no PMDG aircraft there BTW) ,  but Iit will be short in the  "not being frustrated Dept" . As Stephan said you need more CPU power too. A 4 GHz/4.4GHz 4970k would be nice.

My two €cents.

I thought it was an i7 ??

Yes, but only a S wich is good for energysaving-special in Notebooks.

You will need a K. This one can be overclocked an gives you up to 33% more power then with your 4770S

The rest of your hardware needs also changing, so better buy a new one.

Thats what I would do ;)

FSX relies a lot on the computational power of the microprocessor which is function of its "speed" and its processing procedures and set of instructions.Actually, it is a little more complex than that but that will do for today !  As FSX is an older game it does not take much profit of all the improved instructions and processing modes of the i7s, Your processor is smart but FSX dumb :). But if your i7S is far better than any processor of the mid 2000s, it is as slow as they were and there's nothing you can do about it.  You've to have a processor clocking over 4GHz. The Intel 4970K  (like in overclocKing) does it out of the box and you can go further, I suppose. Some motherboard manufacturers offer utilities which help you and make a reasonable ( as opposed to extreme) overclock a breeze. 

Using FSX in DX10 or even P3D in DX10+/DX11 modes,your computer will take advantage of a 900 card which will alleviate the load on the processor but  mainly for the new eye candies. The simulation core still needs a speedy processor.

And remember that a power supply is the lifeline of a computer, a cheap and/or underpowered PSU is a real bad idea.

Archived