Sekiu 11s: disappearing ai and a solution to the elevation issues?

John Burgess

Order Number: FSS0334871

Hi there.

Whilst exploring the delightful scenery for Sekiu I noticed that an ai plane landing after me was swallowed by the runway ??? .

Further investigation into this disturbing incident (with the help of AFX rather than the FAA I hasten to add) revealed that all the ORBX ADE or APX files set the altitude at 321.52 feet, the default APX file has the altitude at 355 feet  whereas the visible scenery appears to be at 357 feet (or very close).

Editing the elevation adjustment file (ADE_FTX_PNW_11S_elevation_adjustment.BGL) to an elevation of 357 feet brought the ai to the surface and also appeared to solve a previously reported problem of chasms on the apron unless the mesh resolution was set to 5m.

I don't intend messing with the other files but thought that this could be useful information.  I assume it is not just a peculiarity of my setup!

All the best,

John

Hi John,

Yes, the default PNW airport had the elevation wrong which I rectified with the payware airport, but it looks like we didn't fix up the ALT file. This would probably be because it would modify the elevation of the default PNW airport, which is designed on the lower elevation, and so would look wrong if modified to the correct elevation. I did not design the airport with AI in mind as I think it is too small to properly manouver them around the objects and building corners (hence the static aircraft) so that's why it was not tested.

Cheers

John, many thanks for the information. I bought Sekiu today and had the problem that with a mesh resolution set to 1m, the aircraft was sunk into the ground when starting from one of the parking spaces. I fixed it by changing the elevation correction file with ADE. Now it works perfectly!

@Misha: Maybe you could provide a patch for this issue, because I would assume that not all customers know how to edit airport elevations with ADE by themselves. Other than that it's a very nice scenery!

Archived