Ireland Textures

colang

Hello,

last night during a VFR in Ireland near EINC I looked at the map and spotted a strange texture difference in the south-east area:

2s8ib2x.jpg

I tried to change seasons and obtained the same anomaly in summer.

sqt9nm.jpg

Also, I noticed a strange blue color in the hills west of EINC.

2zptkyu.jpg

I tried to reinstall Ireland following this procedure:

Set FTX Central to Global

Reinstall Ireland

Set FTX central to Europe

Reinstall Ireland patch 1

Set FTX central to Global

Reinstall the last FTX libraries

Set FTX central to Europe and fly.

Unfortunately the result is still the same.

Is the blue in the hills and the different textures colour normal?

If not (as I hope) did I make something wrong in the reinstall procedure?

Hi there,

do you have any add-on entries in your scenery library menu above the Orbx/FTX block (starting with FTXAA_ORBXLIBS)? It looks like you have an add-on with a landclass layer at higher display priority, which will get FSX confused as to what textures to call.

Cheers, Holger

Hello Holger,  thanks for the fast reply. 

Yes, a lot of them, all over the world, but  few more in Irish boundaries.

The only Irish sceneries are a freeware Dublin,  some airports, and some castles and VFR objects.

I have other sceneries (some FranceVFR, and a free New Caledonia) with a landclass layer, can they modify a specific area in Ireland (only the SouthEast corner)?

Otherwise why only a specific area shows lighter textures than the others? 

To help troubleshooting I can text with a partial scenery.cfg after removing all the layers over FTX sceneries, just to verify this hypotesis.

For the blue textures I suspect can be a problem in terrain.cfg or lclookup.bgl.

I remeber some time ago a blue texture problem solved with an updated LClookup downloadable by this forum. I still have that file, is it still valid or there is an updated version?

Can I do something to troubleshoot it?

Hi there,

the blue textures are just an expression of the same issue meaning that FSX can't find specific textures and then randomly places whatever textures it finds, which sometimes happens to be a waterclass texture.

The rectangular affected area indicates the coverage area of the landclass file in question. I have no knowledge what particular add-on would include such a file so your best bet is to temporarily deactivate all entries above the FTX block and then reactivate them individually. You can do this with FSX running, in slew mode, no need to restart the sim each time. Also, if you have lots of entries then you can speed things up by doing the test in 50/50 blocks, meaning re-activate half of the entries; if the issue shows deactivate again half of the remaining entries, etc. If the issue doesn't show then it has to be in the deactivated 50% so switch to working with those instead.

Cheers, Holger

Ok, after two nights of testing and verify...   It worked,  IIT  WOOORKEEEDD!!!!!

I disabled all sceneries above FTX ones, and the texture became correct.

So I started reactivating sceneries, becoming with the Ireland based and... Bingo, after some tries I found the freeware Dublin_X by Henry Patten changing the whole zone southwest from Dublin.

The next step was move away and back into the "scenery" folder each bgl file until find the Dublin.bgl (ok, I admit, it was not so difficult to find) that changes the terrain for a quarter of Ireland.

It's not a bad scenery, and the landclass change is better than default, but it's not compatible with the texture mapping when the "Europe" region is active.

Once renamed this file, the airport is still good (for a freeware) and the nearby terrain become depicted correctly.

hs258k.jpg

Thanks a lot for assistance, really resolutive.

Happy landings and...  Slainte! 

Archived