FTX Norway Railroads, railroad bridges and tunnels (BUG report)

During my first small explorations I have been following some railroads. It is a repeating scenario that the railroad goes over the hill instead of through it via tunnels and down to the valley instead of just crossing over via bridges.

I think you used The Norwegian Mapping Authority chart data for rails&roads and in this there are coded where the bridges and tunnels are.

If you check the attributes for rails the following meanings are relevant:

Attribute name                    Attribute Value

medium                              U                         = Tunnels (Undergrunn)

medium                              L                         = Bridges (Luftspenn)

medium                              B                        = Blasted rock  (no tunnel but they have blasted a corridor for the railroad)

medium                              T                        = Track (normal railroad)

It should be ean easy task to exclude the tunnelsegments and add railwaybridges for the required segments. I did it in my own little county when the chart data first was released :)

Hi Bjorn,

thanks for the information. Railroads are the bane of my existence, not just for FTX Norway, because their placement data are almost always very poor compared to those of roads, streams, etc. I didn't use the NMA chart data because I noticed it was missing a lot of secondary tracks and appeared to be less accurate overall. However, the alternate source didn't include reliable tunnel/bridge locations so we primarily relied on manual checking. What I should probably do is combine the two sources so that I can find tunnels, bridges, and corridors.  

Cheers, Holger

Archived