KORS: PAPI only appears 1 mile away

B77X

Hi David,

The PAPI is unchanged from the previous installer, it uses a custom approach light to get around a bug in FSX where ground polygons will obscure approach lights generated with ADE. Fortunately Prepar3D doesn't suffer from the same issues so it can have brighter approach lights. The downside of the custom approach lights is that they are often not nearly as intense as the approach lights that are generated with ADE.

Regards,

Alex

Hi David,

The PAPI is unchanged from the previous installer, it uses a custom approach light to get around a bug in FSX where ground polygons will obscure approach lights generated with ADE. Fortunately Prepar3D doesn't suffer from the same issues so it can have brighter approach lights. The downside of the custom approach lights is that they are often not nearly as intense as the approach lights that are generated with ADE.

Regards,

Alex

Intensity is not the problem, they do not appear until suddenly popping up when I am around a mile away on final. In fsx.

Hi David,

Regards,

Alex

example, here is 0s9, I can see the PAPI

4GNLk2s.jpg

Now KORS, no PAPI

018cAY3.jpg

Once I get closer, about 1 mile or less, it appears

0S9 uses a default effect, which are often visible from shockingly far away. KORS differs in that it uses a custom effect to work around the ground polygon obscuring the PAPI.

Was the KORS PAPI working from a distance prior to the triple installer? No changes were made to it for the triple installer, that would require having the source FS9 code on hand which has vanished into the sands of time. If it was displaying from a farther distance before the only thing I can think of would be that the addition of new models has changed something but that is a bit far fetched.

0S9 uses a default effect, which are often visible from shockingly far away. KORS differs in that it uses a custom effect to work around the ground polygon obscuring the PAPI. Was the KORS PAPI working from a distance prior to the triple installer? No changes were made to it for the triple installer, that would require having the source FS9 code on hand which has vanished into the sands of time. If it was displaying from a farther distance before the only thing I can think of would be that the addition of new models has changed something but that is a bit far fetched.

I do not remember, can it be fixed?

It can be "fixed" but only in the sense that it'll be picking between two imperfect methods. The first is to keep it as-is where the PAPI has a pop-in at short distance. The second is to replace it with an ADE effect which is obscured by the ground poly so it may be partially visible from a distance or completely hidden until very close. 

It can be "fixed" but only in the sense that it'll be picking between two imperfect methods. The first is to keep it as-is where the PAPI has a pop-in at short distance. The second is to replace it with an ADE effect which is obscured by the ground poly so it may be partially visible from a distance or completely hidden until very close. 

Only appearing 1 mile away is ueless, can you do the default effect?

I've done a few flights to Orcas since the new release and have had the PAPI in sight well back for either end.

Just out testing it now and even out to 9-10nm I can see it.

Did you change the default radius tweak in the fsx.cfg file? Mine is default of 4.5

Prepar3D works because it uses the default effect and does not suffer from ground polygons blocking the default effects. I'll draft up a new ADE file for FSX and produce a list of files to be altered. I am not the original developer so it may take some trial and error to come up with a best solution.

Also is this in DX9, DX10, or both?

Alrighty, so with some research I have good news on this. Going back through old documentation on KORS it turns out the PAPI was not built with a custom effect because the ground polygon blocks it. That's the typical reason, for example Bonners Ferry in FSX has a custom PAPI because the ground polygon obscures it at a distance. For KORS a custom solution was chosen because the ADE lights could not be lined up with the models. The Prepar3D version has ADE lights lined up to models so it'll be a simple task to port that back into FSX.

My KORS files are all on my desktop so I'll have to get back to it when I return from the Thanksgiving holidays but I'll assemble a patch to put in ADE approach lights in FSX.

Alrighty, so with some research I have good news on this. Going back through old documentation on KORS it turns out the PAPI was not built with a custom effect because the ground polygon blocks it. That's the typical reason, for example Bonners Ferry in FSX has a custom PAPI because the ground polygon obscures it at a distance. For KORS a custom solution was chosen because the ADE lights could not be lined up with the models. The Prepar3D version has ADE lights lined up to models so it'll be a simple task to port that back into FSX.

My KORS files are all on my desktop so I'll have to get back to it when I return from the Thanksgiving holidays but I'll assemble a patch to put in ADE approach lights in FSX.

Thank you so much for this Alex. I purchased KORS a long time ago but only recently with the A2A 182 started flying into the smaller airports in the Orbx regions. Looking foward to the fix when you get a chance.

Archived