FTX Lights bug in low visibility

ildifra

Hi ftx support,first of all just a big thanks for a product(ftx global)that has given to fsx the best touch of reality ever !!!

Now I dont want to appear to u as a faultfinding but I think that costumers that paid 99,95$ for ftx global(much more than fsx's cost) expect a product that has no bug....

I m observing posts regarding the low visibility issue with ftx lights from time but I dont see any progress

From support....

Are u working on it ???will it be a solution soon ?

I onestly think that ftx team should give to costumer a solution...don't u think same ???!!!

Best regards

Luca di francesco

Fss0224219

Greetings Luca,

No disrespect intended, but in all my years as a Tech, I've NEVER seen a program released that didn't have a bug or two - no matter how expensive it was.

That doesn't make it any less frustrating for those of us waiting for a solution..... :)

Respectfully,

Brian

Hi Luca,

sorry but as discussed before it's not a bug but rather a design trade-off meaning improved fps against the issue with fog: http://www.orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/65708-problem-with-global-night-lighting-in-low-vis/?p=607555

FSX and P3D were never intended to have 3D lights on the ground other than as individual lightposts on airports, certainly not tens of thousands of them at the same time. As far as I know the only method to have lights that properly dim in fog layers is by using old FS2002 code and it's only the current Ultimate Terrain X series that uses this approach. However, that method has the heavy fps penalty and thus the announced updates to UTX will apparently also switch to the system we and others employ.

Perhaps at some point L-M will rework the lighting system for a new version of P3D. Until then I don't think there will be any change to this issue since we don't have any influence on how autogen objects (which these lights are) interact with fog layers.

Cheers, Holger

FSX and P3D were never intended to have 3D lights on the ground other than as individual lightposts on airports, certainly not tens of thousands of them at the same time. As far as I know the only method to have lights that properly dim in fog layers is by using old FS2002 code and it's only the current

Assuming GLOBAL and the newer FTX terrain lights are identical eg. in NCA there is no prob with the short visibilty of lights in pure fog (not clouds). The lights are dimmed down, see examplary pics from the suburb area from Arcata-Eureka. But: I am using the FSX DX10 fixer.

Wulf

qERb.jpg

45ilJ.jpg

Hi there,

thanks for the information, I wasn't aware that the more recent version of Steve's fixer does seem to address this issue; this seems to be the relevant thread in his support forum: http://forum.avsim.net/topic/430977-dx10-orbx-lights-and-reduced-visibility-in-fog/

Good news for DX10 Preview users; now we need something similar to happen with the P3D shader code, I suppose.

Cheers, Holger

Archived