Mesh Anomaly SAK - Glacier country YT

Jethro VH-JET

Hi Guys,

I've been sitting on this issue for a little while, searching and searching and rechecking my setup, not so easy to do with failing eyesight, it took me more than an hour to put this thread together, awaiting the findings on another interesting thread  "Yukon territory anomaly"- in VECTOR support. http://www.orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/86818-yukon-territory-anomaly/

I have SAK v1.30 installed into FSX - FTX: NA Blue Southern Alaska (FSS0298090) with all settings as per the User PDF, I do not have Vector or a third party Mesh product, since the SAK region comes with inbuilt Mesh for the region. However I do have FTXGlobal installed for those times when flights can exceed/cross FTX Regional boundaries.

There has been a thread (Noted above) regarding elevated water bodies and terrain mesh in the YT area covered by FTXGlobal & GlobalVector, which is very close to the SAK / YT Regional border.

I wondered what this area looked like in stock FTXGlobal, and also North America Region to see how SAK blended with the nearby surrounding terrain, I also checked with FTXGlobal & Hybrid. Indeed there are Mesh problems if not using third party mesh (shown in pics below). As I don't have Vector I was not expecting to see the small elevated water bodies mentioned by the OP in the other thread, naturally!

What I noticed was a Mesh anomaly mismatch in SAK/YT both with FTXGlobal only" and with Hybrid checked, then also with North America Region only.

I was not expecting to see a Mesh anomaly that essentially cut the SAK region in two, where glaciers have a drop in height and mountains have a been disected.

The anomaly, first noticed above the Klutlan Glacier, starts from well North of SAK/YT cutting through Beaver Mountain, Rabbit Mountain, Mount Riggs Klutlan Glacier and heads southward across the mountain/Glacier country, till it arrives at Malaspina Glacier on the southern coast.

While it is interesting to see such anomalies outside an area covered by a specific region ie; SAK, I understand these anomalies can occur in global locations. What I don't understand is how a Mesh anomaly can occur inside a region using SOP install and setup.

Could you please help me determine wether this anomaly is seen in everyone's SAK Region or only in my setup, if it is normal or a new thing, and if it has anything to do with the other mentioned thread above. 

Red lines in GE show extent and position for Mesh Anomalies (Pictures below showing SAK & just north into Global terrain, follow the line south from there)

iC2f.jpg

Fvtqb.jpg

GrV0.jpg

HCSj6.jpg

BAVi8.jpg

wOaZG.jpg

IjQZu.jpg

ogLIQ.jpg

Vn54z.jpg

Pegzn.jpg

zVeIM.jpg

Hi Jeff,

if you look at your GPS map while in the area you'll note that the irregularity follows the international border meaning it's where two different data sources meet. It's quite amazing how much topographic data can differ, not just terrain but also road networks, shorelines, etc. given the different methods and resources used by the respective jurisdictions. As it happens I'm currently working on lakes and rivers in the Norway/Sweden transboundary area and it's rather disconcerting how much disagreement there is in terms of their placement and detail... 

I do remember trying to smooth out the terrain steps between Canada and US but it looks like I wasn't fully successful. It's a tedious process because it requires manually removing some of the data and then using interpolation algorithms to smooth the transition. Anyway, I've made a note in my SAK documents to have another look at the area for the next service pack. Thanks for the heads-up.

Cheers, Holger  

Well Holger, you know I love your work and have done for many years, when you speak/write or teach its always with a very unique insight, always with clarity and faultless in explanation. Needless to say your explanation is absolutely on the money.

I overlaid the international borders in Google Earth to find that the North /South axis in my first picture matches nearly perfectly with the International Border lines in GE. Though as much as I would love to see this smoothed out once more, and thankyou for adding it to your future SP list, please don't take my enthusiasm as a desire to find a quick fix, or draw you away from more pressing projects. Keep up the great work and Whack-A-Mole those disagreeable elevations back into the ground.  

Kind Regards Jeff

iIx01.jpg

Archived