To the Chief Texture Architect re : the Mediterranean in 1.30

dominique

Chief Texture Architect (CTA ?), doesn't that sound good :lol:  !

I bought Global 1.30 and I'm  satisfied with my purchase. Its pretty good. That being said, there is some room for improvement concerning the Mediterranean vegetation. I've just flown around the Agean Islands. There are too many trees but this is not the issue. I hope OpenLC beavers take care of that. The general greenish tone looks good when I compare to the Google Earth but the yellow and reddish trees  are quite  wrong. Same problem in other Med countries. I live on the Côte d'Azur, in France, and when I look outside my windows all the trees are and will stay green: palmtrees, olive trees, conifers etc. The oaks and some ferns will become redder but much later on and the dominant hue will still be green.

Just after I  flew from Monterey to Half Moon Bay, a region I know well.  The climate there is more or less the same than in the Mediterrean (except for the frigid water of the ocean which brings some nasty fog) The trees Fall textures are perfect in NCA. No Indian Summer there. Green all around.

Now I don't complain but as I understand that Global is on a continuous process of improvement I wonder whether, in a next release, you couldn't somewhat use the California set of textures for most of the Mediterranean ? Just sayin' :) .

Coincidentally, recently I too flew from Monterey to Half Moon Bay, a region I know fairly well myself.  Sadly, I can't comment on the colour of the trees, or any scenery, but the ASN fog was nicely rendered.  :)

I share the comments from Dominique regarding the Medditerrean region in Open LC Europe.

While the overall result is fantastic and well above any other product.

Some important details must be recorded however in order to (even) improve the overall result.

I flew very often to 5 major areas in all directions: Toscany, Sicilly, Sardinia, Corsica and France Provence and Côte d'Azur and noticed the following errors.

While Toscany and Sicilly are just perfect and look very much like real, for Sardinia and Corsica, the coastal areas are OK but the montains and the inland landscape are far too dry with a surrabondance of pampa style braun texture over the mountains and hills (70-90% of total texture types) and even in the plain in smaller proportions, areas which in reality are not as dry.

You normally find these very dry areas in southern Greece and greek Islands, Turkish mediterranean cost and Canary Islands and Andalucia in Spain.

In term of textures over the hills and mountains, there should be a division of textures for:

Very dry southern EU areas: (mentioned above)

Temperate/dry southern EU areas: Corsica, Sardinia, South of France, North of Spain which should much more like Toscany and Sicilly, with much more trees on the montainns and agriculture fields in the plains.

The purpose is not to criticize the most beautiful effort ever achieved to display the most realistic FSX world but a just a fan's suggestion for improvement in order to make things even better and closer to reality.  

Patrick, Geneva.

Is there a post or forum where end users can send their remarks or suggestions to improve FTX products in term of scenery representation (textures, rivers, roads, etc) where gaps have been recorded and where there is room for improvement in a constructive a respectful approach for the hard work ?

I have some issues I would like to mention:

a) the comments above regarding the south european textures (openlc issue) 

B) Rivers missing in some areas (presume a vector issue).

Many thanks for your reply,

Patrick, Geneva

For openLC suggestions/bugs/improvements, create new posts in the openLC support forum: http://www.orbxsystems.com/forum/forum/187-ftx-global-openlc-support/ - this would be for your a) group above.

For Vector bugs/suggestions please log a new post in the Vector support forum: http://www.orbxsystems.com/forum/forum/180-ftx-global-vector-support/

With regards to openLC, we are hard at work on V1.1 but it's not quite ready for beta, very soon though. There are many new textures and specific new autogen building and roof structures that address many of the concerns raised for the Mediterranean area.

For openLC suggestions/bugs/improvements, create new posts in the openLC support forum: http://www.orbxsystems.com/forum/forum/187-ftx-global-openlc-support/ - this would be for your a) group above.

For Vector bugs/suggestions please log a new post in the Vector support forum: http://www.orbxsystems.com/forum/forum/180-ftx-global-vector-support/

With regards to openLC, we are hard at work on V1.1 but it's not quite ready for beta, very soon though. There are many new textures and specific new autogen building and roof structures that address many of the concerns raised for the Mediterranean area.

Good to know, my own point was related to the Global Base textures, not OpenLC or Vector. The Med vegetation is more green persistent and rarely get the reddish/yellow color of the Northern Europe trees in the Fall. I would add that the scenery would benefit of having olive tree models (silvered green) added to the mix as it really is the symbol of the Med vegetation. There are millions of them  :) !

FTX Global Base won't address the Med textures, that's what openLC EU is for. The sole reason for openLC existing is to overcome the architectural shortcomings of the FSX/P3D landclass texture system, so Global Base will never provide the complete diversity you're hoping for.

Archived