something went wrong Global 1.30 install

spinker

My FSX directory is on my E\ SSD drive

I did not plan to run the backup but the install went so fast I did not see the option to skip the backup.

As the installer started a copy function was shown and started to copy numerous files. This copy function ran for quite a while and ended showing a quick E:\ and then the install continued and completed and ended saying 1.30 was installed properly.

When I looked at my E\ drive I found 12,280 new files had been installed to my E\ drive.

They are a combination of BMP and AGN files. I wonder if they represent the backup files that I did not want to do?

If they are the the unwanted backup files I would like to delete them since they take up a lot of HD space but I am not sure if they are a necessary part of my  Global 1.30 installation.   

I need an opinion for what to do

Spinker             

Greetings Spinker,

I'm running P3D v2.3, so I'd wait for an admin type or another FSX user for confirmation of my info. I ran the texture backup and my backup folder of the textures starts with: 000b2lm1.bmp, 000b2su1.bmp, 001b2an1.ang and continues for total of 11480 files at 6.52 GB.

Hope this helps. :)

Respectfully,

Brian

Hello Spinker and Alex

I too did the exact same thing.  The weird thing Spinker is that I too have an SSD E: drive that has only my FSX.  I too also skipped that step since it happened kind of quickly.  As soon as I realized it was too late.

So, I just want to make sure of something.  All those BMP and AGN files that are outside of my FSX folder but are on my E: SSD drive can be deleted?

Thanks

Matthew

Matthew,

To be absolutely sure, if you have room on another drive, copy them to there.  Delete the ones on your E Drive.  Run FSX and confirm you are seeing Global textures.  Once confirmed, you can delete the safety copies as well.

Actually I just had a thought, if they are outside your FSX folder and you are seeing Global textures in FSX, then you can delete them.  FSX does not access anything outside its file structure as determined by bgl files etc.

Good Morning John

How do I know I'm seeing Global textures? I noticed on a flight from KJAC to KMDW (High altitude VOR) that most of the mid west had that repeated texture as if I was seeing the same rural country house all over the place.

Matthew

Global only replaces the textures, so repeating textures from FSX default will still be there, until the OpenLC version is released for the area.

In the meantime, a good trick to reduce the impact of the repeating textures is to set visibility to 20 or 30km (12-20 miles) which is not unreal, and throw a couple of cloud layers in to break up the view.

That's how I do it anyway.

Archived