windows 10 is in the pipeline and looks like a bright future for flight simmers

Culley44

After months of meetings and free pastries, the die is cast and the poor programmers must build the OS. Today's OS seems to cater to all sorts of odd devices and protocols. Add in the need for security from well known hacking countries and your personal needs soon disappear. I would like to see a stripped down OS with options to add all the support for video protocols, music protocols, etc... I know I have to pay for them but I do not want them loaded and certainly have no use for them during a flight. Yes, Linux but then it is in the opposite direction.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ok John,

always a problem when switching to a new and unfamiliar hard- or software. I'm happy that you finally got it sorted.

Let me tell a sample. On Friday we bought a new TV set with a so called "home entertainment system" which is simply a Blu-Ray player with some surround loud speaker etc. The whole stuff was delivered and installed on Saturday and I got a short introduction.

Now the good "old times" are gone. Never again only switch on the TV if one like to see the news or a movie.

No - first you've to chose the right remote control, then find the right button and they're really tiny. After the TV is on you see tiles like on Windows 8.1 or iPad whatever.

My TV has become now a computer and I've to chose the right tile aiming with a freaky remote control.  Have to press a menu button and aim with a laser like spot on top down menus and so on. Still more to come and to learn how to use motion control as a sample. I also keep fighting how to integrate 3 remote control into 1 master control which is also like a "flying mouse" with this laser like spot. :wacko:

Well, I guess I felt like you John, when you saw Windows 8.1 the first time in real.

Wish you many good flights and less trouble with the system.

Spirit

Oh dear Spirit.  I'll never be persuaded to get one of those TV's never mind how much my wife would like it so she could have the golf on all day....err....except when the football is on of course.  I'm waiting with horror at the thought she's going to discover there's such a thing as a split screen! ;)

I'm presently downloading the new version of REX for P3D as I really miss the facility FSX had of giving real world weather.  In our part of the world it's an important part of flying and adds interest.

All the best to you Spirit in sunny Thailand.

John 

windows 10 is gonna be great, boot times are faster, when it's finished, i think it will be so much more optimized for all software, fsx and p3d included,i am only running it in a virtual machine at this point because i have so many addons installed and networked that i don't want to take a chance in breaking anything, but windows 10 is what windows 8 should have been, i know windows 7 is not dead by no means but,but microsoft is good at forcing people to upgrade, such as directx only on newer operating systems and internet explorer which doesn't matter because i don't use IE anyway, but i think microsoft is going in the right direction this time, and coupled with p3d 64 bit in the future, we have alot to look forward too. just my opinion.

You are probably right Brett but I'll not be having it.  Life is too short to go through all the addons and programs to be re-installed into a new system again.

I've gone from FS9 to FSX and now P3D with a new 'puter and system needed each time.  I've got what I've got now and that's gonna be the end of it.  I just hope that P3D updates when they come along in the future will not be dependent upon Windows 10.

John

You are probably right Brett but I'll not be having it.  Life is too short to go through all the addons and programs to be re-installed into a new system again.

Exactly! But the real question is; is it worth it? "No" is my answer.

windows 10 is gonna be great, boot times are faster

Boot time? Isn't that something we cared about 20 years ago? How often do we really boot? I can't remember seeing my wife rebooting her system...ever. It only reboots when a nightly update forces it to reboot, in which case it doesn't mater how long it takes and in this day and age of fast SSD and UEFI, boot times are getting even less important and if someone doesn't want to keep his computer on 24/7, then there are still things like standby and hibernation. Heck, a fully loaded FSX takes more time to load than the time needed for a boot.

i think it will be so much more optimized for all software, fsx and p3d included

No, it won't, at least not to the extend of "much more".  Windows 7 is considered faster than Vista, but tests on several web sites have shown that the performance boost in gaming is rather small, too small for the majority of us to even notice.

i think microsoft is going in the right direction this time, and coupled with p3d 64 bit in the future, we have alot to look forward too. just my opinion.

The reality is that we don't need Windows 10 to run P3D in 64 bit.

Again, I don't want to sound negative, but as an IT guy since the '80's I've worked with all Windows operating systems since version 2 and it's my personal opinion that unless hardware developments or Microsoft (most likely!) *FORCE* us to upgrade, there is simply no reason to upgrade.

The flight simulator community doesn't need Windows 10 at all...what they need is:

1. a 64 bit version of FSX or P3D

2. better support for multiple cores.

3. better use of the GPU

4. faster hardware

Windows 10 is not bringing anything substantially useful to our flight simulator....at all.

I must be getting old (not just older) when I look at innovation with disinterest, or at best a threat and a dread instead of hope and excitement. Multiple handhelds, little buttons and small devices are no longer useable for me.

OK, all this writing is tiring, so time for a nap.

Kind regards,

it's my personal opinion that unless hardware developments or Microsoft (most likely!) *FORCE* us to upgrade, there is simply no reason to upgrade. 

I agree with most of what you say,but find this last statement to be completely baffling.If YOU feel no reason to upgrade then why are you using modern Windows based software,at least I presume you are,or maybe you have coded this response and you run a computer on "BASIC".

Seems to be quite an illogical statement from someone who pertains to be an IT guy.Maybe you just hanker for the past,but IF it's advancement then give me the updates is my choice.

10 INPUT "What is your name: ", U$

20 PRINT "Hello "; U$
30 INPUT "How many stars do you want: ", N
40 S$ = ""
50 FOR I = 1 TO N
60 S$ = S$ + "*"
70 NEXT I
80 PRINT S$
90 INPUT "Do you want more stars? ", A$
100 IF LEN(A$) = 0 THEN GOTO 90
110 A$ = LEFT$(A$, 1)
120 IF A$ = "Y" OR A$ = "y" THEN GOTO 30