Lighting effect question for FTX

Hi John and crew...

Like pretty much everyone in this lovely country I applaud you all for your hard work and effort (and yes, my bank account is going to be empty on the 5th March..lol).

However I have a question.  I'm very impressed with the lighting effects for the streetlamps as I feel they add a great amount of immersion to the sim, however do the lights have a bloom effect to them so from a distance they really shine at night.. 

I ask as I've not seen any bloom effect added and in my opinion it'd look cool.. :)  Although I'm not sure if it would be realistic or practical to do so..after all, planes I can manage...scenery..now THAT is a dark art..lol.

Either way it looks superb and I'm really looking forward to burning my PC-9/A over the fields of VIC..

(PS. anyone got any shots of East Sale??  ;) ) HINT HINT...  :D

Hi David,

We are shipping the FTX Lights application for release, which gives control of the 3D lighting system to the user. In this way you can control the halo bitmap and the size of the lighting effect. We have 3-4 empty slots so you can add you own lighting effect halo bitmap. We found that extensive beta testing led to many opinions as to what was good/bad/long vis/short vis, so this little applet will pretty much let you do what you want.

Posted Image

BTW, if you have any nice halo bmp's lying around David, that you want to donate to FTX, please speak up now, LOL!

This is a great idea John.  Are there any other elements of FTX that you will give the user some control over?  Thanks.

No. FTX is designed to "install and fly". You don't even need to setup your Scenery Library entries, it's all done for you. The only reason we have made a concession about the lights is that testing proved that finding the perfect balance proved to be a very personal taste issue. Don't expect to see any other tweaking tools for FTX; it is not needed and we also don't want to distract users from the main focus: enjoyable VFR flying - not endless tweaking ;)

Archived