What an FSX adventure today!

John York

Well, it started yesterday really.   A long flight, 500 plus nm.  Three quarters of the way.  Screen froze.  Tried it again with different plane.  Almost same thing.  Three quarters there.  CTD this time.

Got up this morning without solving the problem. Couldn't think what it could be.  Turned up my cfg more in hope than judgement.  Couldn't believe my eyes.  It was renewed only a few weeks ago and yet it had got itself into a complete mess with umpteen extra entries and duplications.  Deleted the whole thing.  Copied and pasted my back-up to it.  Then, of course, there was the time consuming job of getting the FSX settings done, but what I hadn't anticipated was, my antialiasing was mucked up in DX10 Steves Fixer.  Couldn't do that with FSX on so closed it down checked all the settings in DX 10 and corrected the aliasing (it had gone to nothing at all!), opened up FSX again to be greeted by the bloody introductory music and home screen!

Of course, some of the settings were as they should be, but a lot weren't.  Even the screen resolution had changed!

Finally got the flight loaded, Took off in the Hawker in real world weather rain and and thunder and lightening.  Then sunshine.  Halfway along I flew through the most beautiful clouds for about thirty miles and finally landed in bright sunlight!  One of the best flights I've ever had with frame rates steady all the way at 24 and 25.  Even over some large towns and at the two airports.

I suppose persistence pays but frankly, I could have done without it all.

I wonder how long it'll last this time?!! ???  ::)  ;D

Golf tomorrow.  I think I deserve a good game after all this lot.

John

Thanks fellers.  Nice to hear from you Iain.  I guess Orbx keeps you pretty busy these days.

The golf was average but I was knackered when I got in.  Strong wind doesn't help.

Glad to say the sim' is behaving itself.  I can't say I don't get some blurries but I can live with that.  I think I try to get too much out of my what was fairly state of the art but an ancient system now.

All the best.

John 

Archived