If its not one thing........

John York

Ok - all I've done is update My Traffic X to the 2013 schedules and fiddled with the water in DX10 and suddenly FSX is taking three times as long to load....anything!

I click on the screen shortcut and wait....err and wait....and wait.   After about 5 minutes it decides to start up.

I then click on the aircraft I want and wait......err, and wait.   After another 5 minutes the aircraft shows.

I then make up the Flight Plan.  Only a short wait after I've entered all the details so that's not too bad.

Real world weather next.  Shorter wait.

Time of day not too bad.

Fly now.     Seems to depend on the complexity of the FIR and length of flight but reasonable at about 6-8 minutes wait.

So, in total, it takes some 22 to 25 minutes to actually be sitting on the apron and preparing the aircraft ready to fly.

To be honest, by that time I am sometime wondering if its worth the effort!

Then I get in the air, and decide it is!  So, mug that I am, I always come back for more.

But who of you know of a more frustrating hobby?  (Oh and golf is not an acceptable answer!!!)

John

Hi John,

Sorry to hear that a glitch has crept back in, I can't quite remember where you were up to in terms of setup, I think it was either switching over to FSX DX10+ Steves fixer, or P3Dv2, but I do remember reading that you were, happy.  quote: "Performance Tweaks" post #21  very happy bunny at the moment

Because it seems to be related to MTX traffic update, you could check if the problem is connected, by setting your traffic to "0" in FSX.cfg, then starting FSX. If your SIM starts and loads normally or in a respectable timeframe, quite possibly eliminating traffic altogether will reveal if updating MTX is the cause.

Hi Jeff

Yes, it's updating My TrafficX that's done it although it was getting a bit slower before then.

I've just Registry Cleaned.  That was pretty normal.

However, I decided to defrag.  Goodness me.  My 'C' disc had become 75% light blue.  My 'E' disc (scenery) needed doing but my 'F' disc with FSX on it is defragging now having been 95% light blue!

I think that'll sort it.  After I've done that I'll give it all a security scan overnight and by tomorrow it should all be cleaned up and working a lot faster......I hope! ;D

John

Hi Jeff

Yes, it's updating My TrafficX that's done it although it was getting a bit slower before then.

I've just Registry Cleaned.  That was pretty normal.

However, I decided to defrag.  Goodness me.  My 'C' disc had become 75% light blue.  My 'E' disc (scenery) needed doing but my 'F' disc with FSX on it is defragging now having been 95% light blue!

I think that'll sort it.  After I've done that I'll give it all a security scan overnight and by tomorrow it should all be cleaned up and working a lot faster......I hope! ;D

John

allso be sure to exclude fsx exe and fsx mainfolder from your antivirus.

and ad in fsx cfg under

[Main]

DisablePreload=1

this helps also to load fsx faster ::)

That's a good idea Ralf.

I never thought of not scanning FSX exe and folder from the antivirus scan.  That's fine but when in general use I'm going to leave them covered.

In reality of course, it should never be necessary to actually scan if the anti virus is working properly but its surprising the little bits and pieces that get through. 

Thanks

John

i exclude the complete fsx folder from antivirus,you can scan it manual,when you install some news.........

and scan the files before you install them!!!

so if you start the sim,antivirus do not scan every file from fsx before they load.

that helps a lot to get it faster,and also helps that it run more smoth ::)

Hi John,

Wow  that's amazing amount of fraggledness (if that's a word) I use O&O defrag 17.5 COMPLETE/Name defrag for my FSX drive and OS drive. I sure hope that resolves the issue for you.

By excluding your Main FSX folder from scans, means that your AV progie will not be interfering with every little aspect of FSX by checking and approving for use every time FSX calls for a component, - its a little like having a chocolate in your hand, and just as you are about to throw it in your mouth your kid sister grabs it with best of intentions, licks it all over hands it back to you, saying its OK to eat puzzled you eat it, and so you reach for another and on and on it goes.............  

Excluding from scans does not mean that AV will not be on the alert for suspicious activity - but if you are at all uncertain about an installed software you can scan the installer prior to installation and from that time on it should be safely located on the drive of your choice.

@ Ralf that is mighty fine advice, complements to the chef couldn't have suggested better myself.

Hi John,

Wow  that's amazing amount of fraggledness (if that's a word) I use O&O defrag 17.5 COMPLETE/Name defrag for my FSX drive and OS drive. I sure hope that resolves the issue for you.

By excluding your Main FSX folder from scans, means that your AV progie will not be interfering with every little aspect of FSX by checking and approving for use every time FSX calls for a component, - its a little like having a chocolate in your hand, and just as you are about to throw it in your mouth your kid sister grabs it with best of intentions, licks it all over hands it back to you, saying its OK to eat puzzled you eat it, and so you reach for another and on and on it goes.............  

Excluding from scans does not mean that AV will not be on the alert for suspicious activity - but if you are at all uncertain about an installed software you can scan the installer prior to installation and from that time on it should be safely located on the drive of your choice.

@ Ralf that is mighty fine advice, complements to the chef couldn't have suggested better myself.

thank´s,

i am german,and my english is  not as good.......

but that´s wat i try to tell 8)

Yes, luckily all things FSX are on my 'F' disc and all things scenery are on my 'E' disc so the flight simulator is as near as damn it restricted to those two discs so I've turned ESET off from scanning those discs.  The stuff on them has all been scanned somewhere else before they get on those anyway.

Thanks for the tip.

It's all working quicker now but I don't know whether that's because of the anti-virus or the defragging and registry cleaning!  Probably a bit of everything.

John 

Archived