Vista or XP?

vmx

Apologies if this has been asked before (did a quick search but nothing jumped out), but I'm building a new rig especially for FSX and FTX and wondering if Vista or XP is the go?  From what I've read so far DX10 isn't yet as good as DX9 performance-wise, so should I continue to stick with XP?

Many thanks!

Hi John,

Don't tell me that FTX won't run on Vista? I have just bought a new computer set up for

FSX and using Vista exclusively. I'm running FS2004 on my XP designated computer.

I, like everybody else am waiting with bated breath for the release, but if it won't run on Vista

I'll be buggered.

Hank

Hank, you won't have to worry about that...  I am sure it will run on Vista just fine, mind you I am not a dev or tester, but others have posted here in DX10 mode which is only available in Vista so I would assume it is quite OK.

Cheers,

I didn't say FSX or FTX would not run on Vista, just commented that for us at Orbx, using XP instead of Vista was a no-brainer. We get better performance and more stablity under XP and DirectX 9.

However, with the advent of new video card drivers and the upcoming SP1 for Vista, all that may well change. Also, a good portion of the beta testers (including Mango) are running under Vista and they don't have any problems running FSX or FTX on that OS.

If you are using Vista - two simple rules: always ensure you have automatic updates on, and have the latest patches applied. And secondly, make sure you have the latest video drivers installed for your video card.

Finally, there is little to be gained in FSX from using DX10 under Vista. As Mango stated in his beta shots thread, there's a small bit of eye candy you see, but not enough to warrant the loss in frame rates when using DX10. To make sure DX10 mode is not being used by FSX, just uncheck the [ ] DX10 Preview box in the FSX configuration menus.

Koorbs, what level of frame rate loss are you experiencing between XP and Vista...  It does concern me as I was an early adopter of Vista and will be continuing to use it with FTX...  BTW, I am getting excellent FR's in Vista with Med-High settings across the board.

Cheers,

I just moved from XP to Vista, primarily because of the FSX SP2 menu crash bug, who I'm happy to report has fixed my problem.

I installed Vista Basic to keep those hidden programs running to a minumum, changed the desktop them to basic and turn off the access prevention "This computer needs your permission" thing.   

I think the frames are slightly lower, but I haven't started tweaking FS at all yet.  But I'm happy I made the move. :)

Cheers,

Matt.

Hi John and the other members who answered my question. Relief I haven't blown $4000.00 on the new computer.

It gets pricey this flight sim bug don't it?  But hasn't it gone ahead in leaps and bounds over the last few years.

FTX looks like it's going to make it heaps better. A very fair price too I must say. Hope it comes out soon

before we start losing parity with the US dollar again. At the moment I'm getting quite a bit of stuff from the US.

Roll on FTX

Regards

Hank

Archived