- An Autumn day at Melbourne -

really brings a tear to my eye when i see my home town looking so grand. Cheers guys, this really is looking better and better each and every day. thanks mango for placing these spectacular images up of Melbourne. Cant wait for it to come out now.. just breathtaking.

Hi, Man I am so looking forward to this.

It really brings a taste of home to FSX. Instead of those Gooey Default Textures.

Next time you are flying around Melbourne, maybe take a detour to Avalon the home of the International Airshow (and JetStar) and then head over the bay to Geelong. I would love to see if the orbx guys have added the beautiful marina and boardwalk that arches out in to the bay from Eastern Beach - Geelong. (And get the guy who puts the trees on the road to add all the palm trees they have put in over the last few years) :-)

The town does not have much else going for it Flight sim scenery whise but it would be great to see the Eastern Beach marina jutting out.

TechnoBill

Yeah, i fly moorabin too (actually flying every day next week). Doing circuits, so I was really hoping FTX would be ready by now :( But it looks like I'll just practice on VOZ. Unfortunately, I find moorabin airport doesn't raelly resemble moorabin in Voz, so hopefully its better on FTX..

Any status guys? I'd really like to be able to pop into my warrior 2 by the end of the week, and have run simulations with FTX, so at least I have a better idea what to expect.

Let me reiterate :)

FTX is a ground terrain addon first and foremost and does not include any airports. Therefore Moorabbin is default. The Orbx GA Freeware airfields we will release a few weeks after release are mainly smaller GA fields and Moorabbin is not among them. However you will find that the landclass around the airport is very accurate, along with Dandenong Rd (Princes Hwy), the Monash Freeway, Nepean Highway and also the bay coastline. It should be a substantial VFR flight experience even with the default FSX airport in place.

Orbx will be releasing a payware Moorabbin later this year, along with Essendon. Melbourne International and Avalon are first cabs off the rank.

WOW it Just  gets better - when I think VSX has lot better eye candy than the UTX-Cananda (yes I know their differant countries) I have purchased for my FSX.

FTX,s eye candy when it comes out is going to make me into a  40 yo hermit... I just love fyiing around Australia and these samples of Melbourne are going to make a lot of folks realise that we are not playing games here ! ::)

Thanks for the info john.

Either way, needed it for Moorabin training area anyway mainly (so I can learn the landmarks, because I suck at nav).

Pity to hear about YMMB not being revamped for a while, but I'll survive. I mainly only needed it because some features in Moorabbin are a bit "funny" compared to the real airport (its accurate, but its also inaccurate too it feels somehow in VOZ still, which can make circuits sometimes a bit funny, when you go out to do the real thing. Or maybe thats because I'm a noob and I'm doing it wrong).

Anyway, I'll get beaten up if I keep you away from your hopefully soon completion of FTX :D

Btw, I'm not very good at stocks, but I heard you have shareholders for your company in the other thread. Does that mean anyone can buy shares? I for one would happily buy a few (shouldn't need to buy many to be able to get enough to buy a brand new piper warrior in the near future I'd imagine)

But i have to admit, they did do a good job with Royal Vic down there at VOZ, thats where i fly out of, they had the logo and everything on the main building. was a really good job, but the reason why it seems odd, is because the airport has been slightly moved to the west by about 2 or 3m. it is also because of all of the bright oranges and such that are not there in real life Auz, puts me off + when your trying to land on 17, 22 looks liek it because they have not defined the warehouses and the taxi way next to is looks like 17 R... it is a bit confusing... 

and thanks for explaining that john.

Ahh, thats exactly where I fly (in fact I'll be there every day of this week), So i'll probably see you around (I fly a Warrior and I'll be the idiot tomorrow making incorrect radio calls, doing wider then I planned for circuits, that are shaped somewhat like a triangle). And so far, have consistantly approached much too high. So I'll apologise in advance now :D  (and all the way up until friday, which is when I decide if I want to continue, because with my current lack of coordination, I dunno if I'll ever get to solo at this time)

But yeah, your probably right about the bright orange roofing. But I always felt there was something else too (maybe also the textures, or the flatness of the grass or something). VTX will certainly make it feel more realistic though in the general vicinity.

Can hardly wait :) Hopefully the expected month for FTX wont need to be changed to march.

yeah i saw you there on monday, thats if you were there on monday.. the noob with FSX... ?

meh, anyway, a trick with doing your circuits, i don't know who your instructor is, but with the higher than usual approach, as you turn onto base from down wind, pull the power back, but keep the nose steady while you make your tun, this will greatly decrease the amount of speed in a really short amount of time, go through your checks, carby on, 2 stages, etc, if your landing on 17 L, line yourself up with the tower on base, does the trick in making a perfect base leg, if you think your a too long, Kingston road is about where i fly above, i try to be at about 600 or 500 feet coming onto final... seems to do the trick for me, but i know you will be told to do this many a time down there, but line your self up with buildings, K_mart warehouse, braeside park, trust me it works, wont be in there this week, just had an opp, but i might be in next week.. we shall see, hopefully FTX will be out then...

Alex

Archived