Buying a nVidia card? - Read this first.

Hotspot

I have been with Nvidia for some time now.. love it.. IF the story is true, I will still stay with cards that serve my purpose.. that being said, it reads like a case of sour grapes to me and not worth the paper it is not printed on. Do you really believe that a Tech company the size of Nvidia would pull a stunt like that?.. Teecee

So sad to see a company of that stature resorting to those sort of tactics. Money, money, money.

I recently bought a 9800GTX+ for my son and it's an excellent card for the money (paid about $230 for it).

Whilst my money is still with NVIDIA, I am reluctant to spend anything with them at present. I had thought of updating my 9800GX2 with a 295 but the price is horrendous and I just can't see the gain.

Oh well, that's another $1000 I have to spend on FTX software...wow, I could buy all of their software for 5 years with that sort of dosh!!

Frank

Yes im afraid money is the name of the game with some companys, But saying that ive also been with Nvidia since i started flight simming first with a 7600 GS Then a 9600 GT which is still in my workhorse pc, And in my flightsim pc i have 2x Nvidia 9800 GX2 and ive found them very capable of running FSX. I have no intention of upgrading for quite a while yet.

cheers

Iain.

ive also been with Nvidia since i started flight simming first with a 7600 GS Then a 9600 GT which is still in my workhorse pc, And in my flightsim pc i have 2x Nvidia 9800 GX2 and ive found them very capable of running FSX.

cheers

Iain.

Yep Iain, I started with a 5900 and have always used nVidia with good results (but think the price of cards is bit questionable),- it was a bit of a surprise to read the original link  :-\

• 2 weeks later...

Oh boy!

I'm building PCs for many years now - for friends, their friends, friends of their friends, family, and so on. In most cases I made the decision for NVidia and until today I didn't make a wrong decision in doing so. I started using NVidia chips with the TNT-Series, saw the first GeForces and dealt with every GeForce-Generation.

Until today I was sure to support a company that was acting in a fair and competative way.

Until I read THAT!

And besides the fact that such behaviour makes me vomitting I don't understand why NVidia behaves like that?

Sure, the market is anything but golden in those days. But that is a problem that nearly every enterprise on that planet has to deal with. NVidia still produces the fastetst single-core GPU money can buy, they have good products to introduce in the netbooks architecture soon and I think the have they ability to compete with giants like Intel. So why the heck do they behave like this?

Rebranding of products is surely not the user friendliest way of expanding the life cycle of a product, but why can't they honestly say: "We rebrand the 9800 as 250. It's the same GPU. If you want to buy something faster, consider buying a GTX 285 or 295."?

I can just hope that the responsible guys at NVidia get castrated and thrown out of town before the image loss for this basically great manufacturer becomes too dangerous. NVidia should ask the press for forgiveness and never switch back to the behaviour mentioned in the article.

I will have a closer look at NVidias behaviour in the next time and if nothing changes I will start using more ATI/AMD cards constructing my PCs. I don't want to support an enterprise that behaves like NVidia obviously does right now.

Archived