Orbx has ruined the rest of the world's scenery outside of the regions

Well Orbx team, you've pretty much ruined the scenery in the world outside of your regions for me.  My "problem" (if you can call it that) is basically that you've made your regions too darn good! ;) Now the rest of the globe seems a little blah.  I know that some folks who share my view have just resigned to fly solely within the regions, but I reeeeaally want to fly in the other part of North America that I'm pretty familiar with in real life -- specifically the east coast and parts of the Midwest.

Right now my scenery software includes some regions (though I'm sure all purchase all of them eventually), FTX Global Base + Vector, and FS Global mesh.  I don't have a landclass layer as I'm just going to wait for openLC to be released.  Is there anything I get (that's compatible with Orbx products) to improve the look of large parts of the rest of the country?

I think I'd like to avoid photorealistic scenery as I'm a GA / slow & low flyer so I have a feeling I won't like the way things look close up since everything will be flat.  (Maybe I'm wrong though.) I'm wondering about Ultimate Terrain X -- does that basically do what FTX Base + Vector does, or would it in fact augment the rest of the world?  Are there other scenery packs out there that cover wide areas that I should know about?  Thanks!

Hi Philli,

Ultimate Terrain X do the same what openLC will do in the future. It is a landclass add on. Global Base is a texture replacement of the FSX scenery textures Vector provides roads, rivers, coast lines raillroads etc and FS Global Mesh provides the terrain.  i suggest you try the Iceland Demo. It is made out of Global Base, Vector, Mesh and openLC. It is free and it shows you how well all layers will play together.

Vector v1.2 (a free update) will vastly improve North America for you. We hope to have this released soon.

Excellent.  Any idea when more or less?  Needless to say, I'm eagerly awaiting openLC too.  :)

Ultimate Terrain X do the same what openLC will do in the future. It is a landclass add on. Global Base is a texture replacement of the FSX scenery textures Vector provides roads, rivers, coast lines raillroads etc and FS Global Mesh provides the terrain.  i suggest you try the Iceland Demo. It is made out of Global Base, Vector, Mesh and openLC. It is free and it shows you how well all layers will play together.

Yeah, I pretty much understand how the layers are suppose to integrate together, but I didn't realize UTX was just a landclass layer.  Hmmm.  Perhaps if things don't seem much better after Vector 1.2 is released, and if openLC is still a long way off (I believe the estimated time is sometime late in the year, no?), I'll spring on UTX for the US.   Does anyone know if this works well / is compatible w/ Orbx software?  You think it will change much to my current set up?

You should check the compatibility forum i think Holger wrote some words about UTX and regions. If you just want to have landclasses you might want to check out scenery tech which seems to be outdated, cloud9 has landclasses for europe and us and you can also check out openvfr they are on a current state. Openvfr is the cheapest solution and the more advanced one compared to UTX and SceneryTech.

After looking around a bit more online, it seems like UTX actually does what a landclass layer would do and what FTX Vector currently does.  :-/  Not sure if it's worth it to buy UTX if I'd be disabling Vector ... but then again if the LC layer is basically the the missing ingredient here, and if it's going to me several months (or longer) for Orbx's openLC to come out, I'll want something to hold me over.

You are not alone, I do have the feeling like yours and never been a fan for photoreal stuff. For me, I would just wait for the coming OpenLC for best compatibility, my only concern is how far we can fly with all these nice stuff enabled before OOM?

Archived