A new member hi and a desperate when???

raveyman

Hi all,

I thought it was high time I joined this forum given that I go on the site three times a day feverishly awaiting news that FTX is released. JV, please please please give us an update.....will it be this month????

I also wanted to say that it has been interesting noting the differences between the FTX forum and that of the Horizon forum, of which I am also a member. Horizon make the UK texture packs and although they are excellent, they have run into difficulties promising more than they could deliver. Part of the deal was night lighting but it was not done in time for initial CD runs. As problems ensued, they offered free water masks and hi-res city textures as a bonus for disgruntled customers but all the projects at once seems to have just caused them more problems and here we are, some 18 months later, they are now delivering the goods, but even the method of delivery of the water masks is causing much complaint and anger, despite it being free. Their mistake? Lack of communication.

John Venema's constant updates, email replies and screenshots to this forum is such a contrast, leaving potential customers happy and salivating, with understanding that "it is done when it is done" because they know waiting is not one long silence from Orbx, and we know where we are up to. Good on you, John et al.

Anyway, cannot wait myself, and thought I would update that I am currently writing a tutorial pdf for a flight from Sydney to Perth using the wonderful Level D B767 so I am going to use FTX in the screenshots (with reference to the software of course!). If anyone is interested in it, will post a link up here when completed.

BTW, in answer to other posts, I agree with the general consensus that I'd like to see New Zealand next as the USA and Canada already have other terrain products available, and the UK has texture packs from Horizon and Just Flight.

After that, some bits of asia would be cool because no-one else has bothered to try.

Cheers all

ravey

Is there an official fan signature image something like "FTX supporter" with a nice graphic.  Would be good for posting screenshots over at AVSIM etc... spreading the word... a bit of free advertising.  If you make official signature image then your supporters will use it.

Hi all,

I thought it was high time I joined this forum given that I go on the site three times a day feverishly awaiting news that FTX is released. JV, please please please give us an update.....will it be this month????

I also wanted to say that it has been interesting noting the differences between the FTX forum and that of the Horizon forum, of which I am also a member. Horizon make the UK texture packs and although they are excellent, they have run into difficulties promising more than they could deliver. Part of the deal was night lighting but it was not done in time for initial CD runs. As problems ensued, they offered free water masks and hi-res city textures as a bonus for disgruntled customers but all the projects at once seems to have just caused them more problems and here we are, some 18 months later, they are now delivering the goods, but even the method of delivery of the water masks is causing much complaint and anger, despite it being free. Their mistake? Lack of communication.

John Venema's constant updates, email replies and screenshots to this forum is such a contrast, leaving potential customers happy and salivating, with understanding that "it is done when it is done" because they know waiting is not one long silence from Orbx, and we know where we are up to. Good on you, John et al.

Anyway, cannot wait myself, and thought I would update that I am currently writing a tutorial pdf for a flight from Sydney to Perth using the wonderful Level D B767 so I am going to use FTX in the screenshots (with reference to the software of course!). If anyone is interested in it, will post a link up here when completed.

BTW, in answer to other posts, I agree with the general consensus that I'd like to see New Zealand next as the USA and Canada already have other terrain products available, and the UK has texture packs from Horizon and Just Flight.

After that, some bits of asia would be cool because no-one else has bothered to try.

Cheers all

ravey

Hi ravey,

Well thanks for the intro and welcome to the forums! :)

Our philosophy at Orbx is to "under promise and over deliver". FTX as it stands today has gone far beyond the scope of the originally announced product, which was only going to be just a texture replacement and a few bits and bobs. What we've ended up with is probably the most immersive VFR environment ever made, which is pretty cool.

Incidentally, the CEO of Horizon came over to the Orbx booth at FanCon in Seattle last November. He stayed chatting for about 30-40 minutes, eyes glued to the projected screen of an early FTX beta. Eventually he said "John, I think you've nailed it". Kinda thought that was a nice endorsement.

I have their products for the UK and I agree there's nothing like flying over the real imagery of a whole country. They've done a pretty good job so far. I'd love to do that for Australia one day, but it's just not technically possible for a country our size, and the data just does not exist. The biggest issue with large scale photoreal is that the seasonal variations, night textures, and most importantly, the accruate annotation is a massive, massive task to undertake, and I would only think about such a project once we have developed automated tools to do the annotation processing.

John,

Doing photoreal scenery of Australia isnt technically possible -but it isnt necessary either. Large tracts of Australia are samey, with bush, and desert etc. Photos of the same thing is a bit silly when it takes up massive quantities of hard drive space. I think your approach is perfect, giving the "vibe" of an area rather than perfect replication (go "the Castle"!). As a big iron simmer, I like to see that coastline shapes, contours, rivers, roads etc are realistic, with a good texture that makes it feel right. For high flying across country, that is all that is needed, and thats why FTX has me hooked in anticipation.

What would be cool though is for someone to fill in with photoreal scenery for the major cities of Sydney, Melbourne etc which blended in with the FTX scenery packs. Something along the lines of the Megascenery packs which are of an excellent quality, but giving more forethought to the edges of the tiles, so it blends with FTX.

If it doesn't appeal as a project, John, perhaps you should give Horizon a call, and see how interested they are; I think they must be keen for an easier endeavour that brings in some extra dosh! Poor buggers. They are architects of their own frustrated situation, but when all said and done, their product truly is first class, and a worthwhile addition to any fsimmers hard drive space.

ravey

Not having ever heard of Horizon, I have just wandered over to their site and jeezaaaaassss, their stuff is pricey...  It certainly looks very pretty, but phew, I think i'll have to go pay the Comm Bank another visit to arrange a new mortgage before I head over to their store again  :D

Makes the FTX price structure almost a giveaway by comparison.

Cheers,

Photoreal cities have already been in our plans for over a year. We announced them a long time ago but have spend the last 12 months doing the R&D work to make the synthetic engine work to max capabilities. We will be releasing FTX CityScapes for Perth, Melbourne, Brisbane and perhaps Sydney Adelaide and Hobart. It depends 100% on where we can get the 0.50m/pixel source orthoimagery from. The plan is to release each city in stunning detail with completely photoreal CBDs and major POI's, lots of buildings custom modeled and full seasonal, night lighting and 3D lighting support. The first cab off the rank will the Perth and expect that addon to be released later in the year.

The first cab off the rank will the Perth and expect that addon to be released later in the year.

;D  ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D  is all I have to say...

You have made me a very happy person...

Thank you sir.

Archived