Terrain Mesh

Macbrowndog

Greetings Andrew,

A decent terrain mesh will make a world of difference! I see that you are having difficulties downloading the Holgermesh from the FTX site. Hang in the for the tech support, as it will be worth it since the Holgermesh and Orbx/FTX Australia were designed to work together.

Respectfully,

Brian

G'day Andrew,

Whilst it is recommended to use the holgermesh for australia, in reality it does not make a huge difference.

There is a very old thread here somewhere in which I posted comparisons between default FSX and holgermesh for FTX australia. There are some extremely slight differences with neither being superior, sometimes the default mesh fits better with creeks, rivers and sometimes the holgermesh might fit better. Differences are noticeable to about 100metres when using a source of comparison such as google earth. It is important to note that all these programs could use slightly different WGS (survey) data, ie older or newer data.

Both use 76m mesh, which is very low res but all that is available in the public domain. The various state governments in Australia hold onto the high resolution stuff and want lots of money for access.

Having said all that the majority of airports (both Orbx and OzX) are developed to fit in with the Holgermesh. Although there may possibly be some higher res mesh included with some of the payware Australian airports, I couldn't confirm which ones. I know that the OzX package did include a much higher resolution mesh for the Glasshouse Mountains area in SE Queensland.

And it is important to note that all the above pertains to Australia only. I understand that much of the international ORBx stuff had higher res mesh available.

Cheers,

Baz.

Archived