Another question regarding texture "morphing" - inappropriate textures

ebgee

It appears that I'm going to have to officially ask for help with this problem, although I've exhausted every possible solution that I can find trying to avoid it...

Like some others, I've been having issue with inappropriate textures "morphing" and changing in certain areas.  In the past, this has usually been caused by forgetting to set FTX Central to the appropriate region, and the fix was simple.  On other occasions, it has taken a re-install of the offending region.  However, these issues that I'm having in NCA are confounding me.  Basically, I'm experiencing this texture morphing in the areas around and east of KMMH, and also around Lake Tahoe and KTVL.  Thus far I have tried (in order)...

• cycling through all regions, including FTX Global, and back again in FTX Central.
  • uninstall/re-install of NCA.
  • verified proper ordering in scenery library.
  • refreshed the terrain.cfg as per Holger's instructions in the FAQ, including cycling and applying different regions.
  • banged head on keyboard in frustration.

...with no success.

I've got FSX installed on it's own drive.  All User Access Control is allowed and turned on for my FSX drive and I normally run just about everything by right-clicking and running as administrator.  Windows 8.1, Intel i5-3470 @ 3.20 GHz, 12.0 GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce GT 620...

Anybody have ideas that I haven't tried, short of wiping everything clean and starting all over?

Hi ebgee,

interesting screenshots as they seem to indicate that the issue is with waterclass textures not being found by the sim rather than ground textures. Can you check that you have 33 "3xxb2su1.bmp" files in \ORBX\FTX_NA\FTX_NA_NCA08_CUSTOM\texture and also a total of 12 .bgl files with "_WC_" as part of their names in \ORBX\FTX_NA\FTX_NA_NCA08_CUSTOM\scenery? Also, make sure you don't have any add-on that includes custom waterclass files at higher display priority than the FTX block of entries.

Cheers, Holger

Thanks for your reply, Holger.  I just checked and both locations do contain the proper number of the files that you mentioned.  I've disabled all scenery library entries that are higher than the FTX block, just to be sure.  I had disabled, but not uninstalled, UTX USA before installing FTX Vector, but had re-enabled their Ground Polygons just to bring back the golf courses, etc around my hometown (which aren't present in the current version of Vector).  I've now disabled all things UTX; and, once again, refreshed the terrain.cfg... still no luck.

I made a few short flights in other FTX regions.  Naturally, I haven't been everywhere and seen everything, but the only places that this problem seems to be happening is a few locations in NCA.

Hi there,

what about the FTX Global openLC entries? I just remembered that its North American folder (ORBX!OPENLC_NAMERICA1) includes coverage of the southeastern area of NCA, which appears to be where you have those issues. Make sure those openLC entries are below the FTX block in your scenery library.

Cheers, Holger

You win the prize, and my everlasting respect and gratitude (actually, you won those back in the FS9 days when I wouldn't fly anywhere except Glacier Bay and the CR Gorge).  I had made sure that the OPEN LC_BASE entry was below the OPEN LC_NAMERICA1 entry, which someone had mentioned in a previous thread.  But the entire group of Open LC entries had installed above the rest of the FTX block... so that's where I left them.  Moving them to just below the FTX block appears to have been the solution.  I just checked the area around KMMH and found no more evidence of texture morphing.  I'm sure the other problem areas have cleared up, also.  

I had to re-install Tongass Fjords to get those textures added to the terrain.cfg.  The configurator tool alone didn't do the trick.  Now I think I've got everything up and running, again, the way it should be.

Thank you, very much for your assistance.

Cheers,

Eric Gee

Archived