OOM sitting at CYVR

B77X

After the latest patches for the FTX NA regions, I get an out of memory eror after a few minutes just sitting at a gate at FSDreamTeam CYVR.

I removed the CYVR PNW afcads long ago. I have looked all over and can find nothing that would cause this except the new patches like PNW.008

I have the latest libraries

Help!

This is with FTX Global, hybrid mode enabled. With hybrid disabled and only FTX Global enabled, sitting at CYVR, no OOM. I have all the FTX NA regions, so something is making my sim OOM.

Help please? Is there some logging or something I can set to see what might be wrong? I run FTX Central as admin, set to Global and check all 3 boxes, OOM error guaranteed anywhere in the world, even outside of the NA regions. All the regions are updated, latest libraries, and my autogen slider is set down to normal. Uncheck Hybrid mode and I can fly for days straight with no errors.

I suggest downloading Process Explorer, and using it to monitor Virtual Size while running FSX.  I have found this extremely helpful in resolving out of memory problems.  With Process Explorer, other processes that take up virtual address space can be killed.  There are many processes running at the same time which are not needed while flying.  There is another useful program called AlacrityPC that creates a batch file to temporarily close processes not needed while running FSX, but which can be restarted when FSX is closed.  I run FSX, Active Sky Next, and FTX scenery routinely with no OOM problems.  To monitor Virtual Size I run FSX in window mode rather than full screen.  I find that as long as Virtual Size of FSX is below or slightly above 3,000 MB or so FSX runs smoothly.

Jim Kaye 

I assume you are using FSX? When I received a lovely series of OOMs recently, I renamed my fsx.cfg to fsx.cfg.old, and restarted FSX. This causes an empty fsx.cfg to be built. Then add all the settings to the cfg that you are sure it works, and do not forget highmemfix=1 (and there was a 2nd must-have, I think AffinityMask=14). Give it a try. If that helps - fine. If not, you still can restore your old cfg and try something else... :blink:

After I recently updated to FTX Vector 1.15, I found that hybrid mode was no longer selected.  After selecting this option, I selected the default Cessna 172 and airport KSEA, which had caused OOM problems previously.  The display now looks very strange, with aircraft elevated above the tarmac and large cliffs.  My Virtual Size is now about 2.8 GB using Process Explorer. 

Jim Kaye

After selecting North America, but with hybrid mode still selected in FTX Global, I still get the same weird cliffs, etc.  With FTX Global selected and hybrid mode checked, tried flying the default Cessna 172, and found it un-flyable in the vicinity of KSEA.  Away from KSEA the scenery appears normal during flight. This is more than an OOM issue!   I plan to uncheck hybrid mode and select North America for all my flying until this is resolved.

Jim Kaye

After selecting North America, but with hybrid mode still selected in FTX Global, I still get the same weird cliffs, etc.  With FTX Global selected and hybrid mode checked, tried flying the default Cessna 172, and found it un-flyable in the vicinity of KSEA.  Away from KSEA the scenery appears normal during flight. This is more than an OOM issue!   I plan to uncheck hybrid mode and select North America for all my flying until this is resolved.

Jim Kaye

I believe you need to get Vector 1.15 from the announcements section of the forums and let it run to remove all the airport elevation files for your installed airports. run the elevation setup program this after you set hybrid mode.

Did not realize I had to run the elevation setup program after installing Vector 1.15.   Will try this.  Thanks for the reply.  Don't remember doing this with previous FTX updates.

Jim Kaye

Did not realize I had to run the elevation setup program after installing Vector 1.15.   Will try this.  Thanks for the reply.  Don't remember doing this with previous FTX updates.

Jim Kaye

They added a great feature now that scans your scenery folders and removes the elevation files automatically. That should fix the elevation problems you are seeing. You have PNW Seattle afcad and elevation files, but also Vector has their own and they are clashing.

One sugestion from my side:

Please feel free to thoroughly read through this article here by Kosta - it may not the newest article by now anymore but certainly still one of the best available to gather proper information about OOM's and how to avoid them within FSX as well as possible!

Absolutely worth reading!

It really is most helpful and informative!

http://kostasfsworld.wordpress.com/fsx-oom-and-addon-vas-usage/

Maybe also consider getting familiar with DX10, as there are lots of valid and positive reports and feedback all over the web that switching from DX9 to DX10 in FSX significantly helps to stay clear of OOM's!

And one note as well because it was also mentioned and discussed here - and trying to keep things positive:

The good thing about elevation issues is this:

They are in no way related to OOM's - two complete different pair of shoes!

And - overall elevation issues are way more easy to be fixed by developers than OOM's, which in fact will always remain in FSX due to its 32bit, 4GB VAS "limit".

But then again:

There are some options on the table to at least lower the changes of running into an OOM significantly!

Cheers, Christoph

One sugestion from my side:

Please feel free to thoroughly read through this article here by Kosta - it may not the newest article by now anymore but certainly still one of the best available to gather proper information about OOM's and how to avoid them within FSX as well as possible!

Absolutely worth reading!

It really is most helpful and informative!

http://kostasfsworld.wordpress.com/fsx-oom-and-addon-vas-usage/

Maybe also consider getting familiar with DX10, as there are lots of valid and positive reports and feedback all over the web that switching from DX9 to DX10 in FSX significantly helps to stay clear of OOM's!

And one note as well because it was also mentioned and discussed here - and trying to keep things positive:

The good thing about elevation issues is this:

They are in no way related to OOM's - two complete different pair of shoes!

And - overall elevation issues are way more easy to be fixed by developers than OOM's, which in fact will always remain in FSX due to its 32bit, 4GB VAS "limit".

But then again:

There are some options on the table to at least lower the changes of running into an OOM significantly!

Cheers, Christoph

Interesting article, but I do not have any problems previously until these latest FTX NA patches. That is why I believe there is something wrong with hybrid mode as it is causing OOM errors all over the world no matter where I fly. It goes away when I uncheck hybrid mode.

Archived