TrackIR and External View for Flight Sim

Infinity

Hello all.  Newbie here.  I'd like to set up a Flight Sim and had a question.  I'm interested in using the TrackIR4 system using 1 or 2 monitors with a seperate projector system.  I like the idea of having a dedicated instrument panel in front with a peripheral external view in the background.  Basically a dedicated cockpit surrounded by the external view.

Assuming I can move just my eyes vs. my head to glance at the instrument panel:

I'd like to know if this set up is possible?

Will TrackIR4 work in External View only (no inside visuals) and still "move around" outside? 

Will the instrument panel on the seperate monitor(s) be in 3D using the IR4?

Any comments would be greatly appreciated.  I'm still new to all this and will accept any ideas.  Thanks.

Welcome mate, the tack IR translates your head movement to view orientation no matter where that view is, so yes it does work in external views to look around. However overlaying a flat 2D panel will look strange, as the panel will stay fixed to the screen, but the scenery behind the panel will be moving around with your head movement. TrackIR is at it's best while in the virtual cockpit.

Russ.

Thanks for your reply.  Sorry, but I didn't mean a screen overlayed by another or 2 monitors tied together, but two seperate screens spaced appropriately apart (one close small monitor - instruments / and one very large sceen farther behind - external view).  Much like real flying, you have the ability to "track around" outside, yet always have your instrument panel to view on the inside (assuming you don't have to move your head down of course).  This would in theory give your outside view a much larger picture thereby immersing yourself and still be able to "look around."  Maybe TrackIR is better used the way I've seen it in the videos and the way your're discussing here.  I just didn't know if this setup would be possible.

So far, this IR is the coolest and most realistic setup I've seen, aside from the immersive display (http://www.immersivedisplay.co.uk/) or open warp (http://www.openwarp.com).  I don't know what these two display systems cost, but I don't think it would be within the ballpark of TrackIR. 

Before I went out and bought IR, I wanted to ask around and see what kind of setups are possible.  So you're saying that a 2D instrument display would show vs. a 3D instrument panel?  I ask only cause I thought IR gave you 3D.  Like I said before, newbie here and trying to learn.  Thanks.

It may very well be possible to do what you want, you would have to undock the 2D panel and move it to the front screen, to free up the bigger rear screen for external scenery view. You would have to use the 2D panel for your front screen, as using the 3D virtual cockpit would defeat the whole purpose of your setup. What would be cheaper and easier is just to buy the trackir and a big screen tv (42" @ 1080) and run the sim normaly in the 3D virtual cockpit....that would look really nice!

Russ.

I have the Track I/R4 and Track Clip Pro combination and as far as I can tell it works strictly in the VC.  Outside view, 2D cockpit, tower view do not move with head movement.  If it works in the outside (spot) view would someone tell me how to make it work?

Thanks Russ.  Using a large TV was another option I thought of pursuing.  I'm glad you brought that up.  Will this work with any size TV (perhaps larger than 42"  ::) )?  Should it be LCD, HD, Plasma?  Again, I'm getting in over my head and will need someone to straighten me out.  I don't even know how to tell the difference between an analog and digital TV.

Let's just say for gaming purposes, nothing else...

What kind of TV is best for TrackIR? 

What kind of gizmos/gadgets (system requirements) must it contain to work properly?

I've seen sometimes where a game will freeze frame momentarily.  Is that a computer or TV issue, both?

???

I like the idea of having a dedicated instrument panel in front with a peripheral external view in the background.  Basically a dedicated cockpit surrounded by the external view.

Any comments would be greatly appreciated. 

Hi Infinity,

not wanting to confuse or obscure the issue, your description of what you're aiming for sounds a lot like my set up, with three 22" LCD monitors side by side with a panoramic view of scenery across this display; and then another 22" centrally above the three for a cockpit (or whatever ) view. This fourth monitor could be positioned below the three panoramic view ones if so desired. Panning is achieved by the hat switch, but the panoramic spread of three monitors lessens the need to a degree and could be done with a trackIR if desired. On my set up the  composite panorama on the three screens is done with a Matrox Th2Go (triple head to go) digital 'splitter' plugged into the DVID socket on the GTX280 graphics card, and the fourth display is  in the second DVID socket on the card.

BTW when doing other computer work on my laptop at my desk I  have  (as a backdrop) the panoramic view on the three monitors with the aircraft de jour trimmed up and flying straight and level across a moving FTX landscape  - a very relaxing way to work.  ;)

Hotspot,

Panning is achieved by the hat switch, but the panoramic spread of three monitors lessens the need to a degree and could be done with a trackIR if desired.

This is what I was talking about originally, but I wasn't sure if trackIR could do this.  A few replies above, Spud mentioned that trackIR wouldn't pan (with head movement) in external, or tower view as far as he could tell.  So if anyone has a definate answer on this topic, that's what I'm looking for.

BTW, panning is needed because I'm trying to produce a realistic cockpit for aerial combat games.  So I had two thoughts:

1.  TrackIR is affordable and looks awesome.  Could I still pan in only external view while setting up a seperate monitor for instrumentation.  A bit more pricey I know if it's possible.

OR

2.  If not, as Russ has mentioned just using a large TV and leave TrackIR the way it is.  But I wasn't sure what kind of TV would work.  I really like the idea of a 52".  IR's website is lacking in the FAQ department.

You guys are helping, keep it up...

Well Infinity, maybe an experiment with multiple large monitors and Th2Go in conjunction with a track IR is a starting point. I haven't used this combo as my focus is on keeping my simming as simple as possible (not needing the combat element). There are some forum members who have Th2Go and TrackIR working together - maybe they will see these deliberations and offer advice as to whether it would fit the bill.

Given unlimited finance a starting point may be three Samsung 305T 30" LCD's with a 22" LCD for the instruments (or VC). Don't know which card would drive these monsters er, I mean monitors,  but it may take multiple GTX280's or the like (I'd try one for a start). It would be an interesting path to embark on!! Hmmmm ...........??  8)

Out of the box the Track IR4 with Track Clip Pro will only work while in the VC mode.  2D, Spot, or Tower modes are stock FS9.  In External (Spot) view you can pan with the hat switch but turning your head does nothing to the view on your monitor.  Just noticed that according to the Natural Point site they have reduced the price, Track IR 4 + Track Clip Pro = $150 (US).  Purchased separately they are $165 (US), Just the Track IR 4 is $130 (US) but I would most emphatically recommend you get the Track Clip Pro is far superior to the metal hat clip thingy as to response etc.

Okay boys and girls.  After further investigation, Ive found TrackIR does work in external views on "FSX". 

I haven't played FSX, but on the older FS games, there were a number of different views.  1. Cockpit  2. Spot  3. Tower and  4. "FULL SCREEN" ie, maximized view without the cockpit.  This is the view in question.  Do any of you know if FSX still has the full screen option and if it works with TrackIR or any other fs games for that matter?

I ask only because TrackIR's website says it works in External Views, but only lists 2d, spot, and outside view "tail."  Full Screen isn't mentioned at all.

Thanks again.

Archived