Unzipping Patches

xxd09

I have bought numerous Orbx Airports and Scenery. Download and Run installs them . Patches seem to download but I cannot get them

to extract never min install [Win 7]-any tips? Why is the process straightforward for Scenery etc and not for Patches? Do I need to install WinZip?

Any help appreciated

Malcolm Beaton

I'm not positive but are you saying that you download Airports and Scenery and run the installer without first unzipping the download?  If so that will cause problems.  Be sure and extract (unzip) any download before running the installer.

Right lets get one thing very clear here  I do not profess to be a guru in any way shape or form but over the years I have learned to not use supposedly cross compatible tools , 

That is to say forget about the totally useless Compression tool in Windows for unpacking any compressed file, IMHO it isn't worth the disc space it takes up. 

I have a lot to do with compressed files in my support role with several Sim Racing groups and have come to the following conclusion, the only way to prevent possible corruption of extracting files to use the correct tool :-

If you have a WinRAR file then unpack it with WinRAR ONLY

​If you have a WinZip file then unpack it with WinZip ONLY

​If you have a 7Zip file then unpack it with 7Zip ONLY

They each use a specific compression algorithm and are NOT cross utility compatible even though WinRar and WinZip are supposedly so .

The orbx self extracting files will usually install directly why these files would be compressed into a Zip for instance is beyond me as the installer executable is already compressed  big time. But if you have files like this extract them to a temporary directory and NEVER the Desktop . Check the Directory structure is OK and then copy or move to FSX but usually the installer will do this, patches and updates might not be so flexible as they require manula overwrite permissions for instance.  

Let us know how you get on . 

Thanls for help

I find bought downloads install on Run command-obviously unzipped

Patches need to be unzipped to install- BitZipper did it for me

Can I make another request for info

All patches downloaded successfully except for NA PNW.005 and US753.150 where download was interrupted and when resumed and finished resulted in a corrupted file

A Server problem I suppose

Any one else had this problem and is there a answer?

Malcolm Beaton

Archived