How To Change Airport ID and Name

Superglide

Is it possible, possibly as a service pack in your sceneries, to change the airport ID and Name? I have occasionally run into the situation where the FSX code and the new navigation data codes do not match. Case

in point is Glacier International Park. The old code is KFCA, the new is KGPI. FSX  and FTX use KFCA. The new flight planners, and navigation data use KGPI. 

I have read the work-arounds using Airport Design Editor and others. These seem clumsy and incomplete. I was thinking it may be more easily accomplished in your process.

While we are at it, the same question goes for runway designations. 

Your fine work has completely changed my simming experience for the...beautiful!

Thanks

What you've read is pretty accurate, there is no good way of replacing an ICAO code for an airport in FSX. Airport Design Editor is very handy for many things but some aspects of airport data (ICAO, elevation, etc.) are embedded deeper into FSX and difficult to replace. Here's an explanation from Holger:

http://www.orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/74537-wrong-airport-name-in-nca/?p=683832

So it's either leave it as is or end up with two ICAO codes. This is becoming a growing issue in FSX where the navigation data is frozen in time around 2007 while the real world moves forward. The best solution is a bulk replacement of the core FSX navigation data (not sure how that would be done!) or to work with Lockheed Martin on creating a more modular navigation database that can be altered on an airport-to-airport basis.

I don't see much of an issue with 2 ICAO codes as long as the facilities are not duplicated on top of one another. With 2 codes to choose from, you know which is current. It syncs up much better with the new EFB's, G1000's, Navigraph, etc. 

Can you say which is the definitive guideline for using Airport Design Editor. There seems to be bits scattered all over the various forums.

For one, it will hose up your AI traffic if you go changing up the ICAO codes in FSX. And really, as Alex pointed out, you won't really completely eradicate the old code, you'll just two airports in FSX trying to occupy the same space. I just get the feeling that this will create more issues than probably you will want to deal with.

I'll take the minor inconvenience of being stuck in time with FSX ICAO codes not being totally current.

That being said, Joe, IMHO the best guides to be found are probably going to be over at FSDeveloper.com -- or right on Scruffyducks site.

I don't see much of an issue with 2 ICAO codes as long as the facilities are not duplicated on top of one another. With 2 codes to choose from, you know which is current. It syncs up much better with the new EFB's, G1000's, Navigraph, etc. 

Can you say which is the definitive guideline for using Airport Design Editor. There seems to be bits scattered all over the various forums.

Take a look on this topic on fsdeveloper.com or / and search on this site for "change ICAO codes" for more explanation.

www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/threads/o48-kllr.310433

Jan

If all you want is a duplicate ICAO with nav data with the right ICAO code, I can make you an XML file that will add the new one. This is how I created all the ICAO's for the unlisted NZ strips. All I need is the relevant info you want in the airport information (runway elevation, runway headings, lat/long etc.)

Ok, the only issue is that airnav info is rea lworld info, the positioning can sometimes be slightly different in the sim, hence the need for accurate in sim coordinates, heights, headings etc.  I could plug in the RW coords and when you approach you could be way off and attempting to land in a corn field, this is something we learned doing the NZ strips as some could be off by .01 and it would put you somewhere completely in a different location than you should be.

I haven't investigated the decompiling of rhe FSX database to extract the information needed, I am sure it would be a mammoth file with over 21000 airports and probably millions of lines of code (just for the NZSI/NZNI project we were at 1000 airports with over 50,000 lines of input, so we would need to compile a list of any other issues we found before attempting that or even seeing if we could extract that info separately.  If you just want a GPS location that shows the right ICAO to show up on your GPS without all the approach info etc, that's a 5 minute task and a 3kb file that can be done easily.

FSX\Scenery\0201\scenery\APX17140.bgl

ID Old KFCA

ID New KGPI

United States

Montana

Kalispell

Glacier Park Intl

Airport Reference Point

N48* 18.6850'

W114* 15.3050'

2977.00' ASL

Mag Var 18.0