Urban Landclass. Addressed with OpenLC? or Vector?

cvearl

Hiya ORBX devs!

If I am not mistaken, Urban landclass is the "shape" and "density type" of populated areas? Towns, villages and Cities. Ultimately much of default landclass in FSX is wrong. Whole towns are often missing or completely the wrong shape. I know UTX is a vector addon like ORBX's Vector but it addresses these Urban issues as well. In so much as closely matching the top down view of Google Maps in overall shape and look.

Will this type of landclass be modified or corrected by either Vector or OpenLC?

Thanks.

Charles.

Vector is for water bodies, roads, railroads, coastlines, but OpenLC, yes, it will change the landclass. On the other hand I would not expect that kind of realism what you spoke of, because the resolution of the whole project is not as large (keep in mind that they are doing whole Europe). So I would expect to see more (so far hidden) villages, town, in their correct place, but only with a vaguely correct shape. You won't be able to closely match a satellite photo, or even google maps. But correct me guys if I'm wrong. OpenLC will still be a great product, and miles better then the default landclass, plus you also get more variations in textures (and also landclass, but they are hand-in-hand anyway), and much less repetition.

I think your analysis is very well done Peter :) As said in many occasions, OpenLC can't have the same high quality like a ORBX full fat region, but it's already a must have because it changes a lot the way the simulator looks, as never seen til now.

Vector is for water bodies, roads, railroads, coastlines, but OpenLC, yes, it will change the landclass. On the other hand I would not expect that kind of realism what you spoke of, because the resolution of the whole project is not as large (keep in mind that they are doing whole Europe). So I would expect to see more (so far hidden) villages, town, in their correct place, but only with a vaguely correct shape. You won't be able to closely match a satellite photo, or even google maps. But correct me guys if I'm wrong. OpenLC will still be a great product, and miles better then the default landclass, plus you also get more variations in textures (and also landclass, but they are hand-in-hand anyway), and much less repetition.

Thanks for replying. And I do know exactly what all the scenery components are (Textures vs. Vector vs. Landclass vs. Mesh) as I have owned all the competitors (UTX+GEX+SceneryTech+FSGenesis) and now ORBX's "current" offerings. I will ask this in a more direct way...

Will ORBX's Vector or OpenLC products match or compete with UTX for URBAN LANDCLASS placement (which I believe includes industrial vs. residential within). Because when UTX was designed it was also "coastlines, water bodies, rail roads, roads, rivers blah blah blah" but it was also URBAN LANDCLASS definition (which they had from their map sources and closely resembles Google Earth when you zoom out) and I was asking ORBX if they will be addressing URBAN LANDCLASS in any of the products now or going forward.

I know I was maybe ambiguous in my original post and I hope that is more to the point.

Charles.

Peter can't reply to your question simply because the scenery hasn't still been released. Never seen til now means never seen til now :)

Ok never mind. I'll wait until OpenLC is released and then I will ask again.

C.

Archived