PAYA Yakutat snow mound

JohnMD

I was looking at the promo screenshots of this scenery package at US PAYA Yakutat which are up on your site, and could see in one of them, that there appears to be a great big lump of rock or snow right in the middle of the aircraft parking area / apron which does not seem to be there when one goes to look at Google Earth for this same airport, I am just curious as to what this might be....

regards

John MD

Hi John,

The thread threw me for a loop, for a second I wondered if I had missed the release of my own airport! I'm going to move this to General Discussion so others can easily find it if they are wondering about it as well.

The snow pile at Yakutat accumulates each winter, the city is one of the wettest in the United States and receives roughly 4 meters of snow each winter. At the airport rather than plowing it and blowing it off to the sides it is piled onto the middle of the apron. It compacts and freezes into a very dense block of snow that can be up to 18 meters high. The snow pile starts around November and can last all the way until May when it is broken up with digging equipment. By that point it is usually very dark, almost a grey-black with all of the dirt and grime that builds up in the snow over the course of the winter.

Here are some pictures of its various forms:

post-10729-0-63249600-1397017554_thumb.j

post-10729-0-61205500-1397017580_thumb.j

post-10729-0-26390500-1397017581_thumb.j

Archived