Hi,

First, thanks for all the wonderful work for all these add-on airports!  They are attracting people like me out of our ruts, to explore the rest of the fantastic FTXGlobal world. :)

I noticed that if I disable AEC for KONM with the FTXVector Configurator Tool, it is no longer sunken, but now on a somewhat extremely elevated plateau.

I will mention this in the FTXVECTOR forum, as I suspect the ultimate solution has to come from there? But just mentioning it in case it's helpful.

I've tried using both FTXCentral set to North America and to FTXGlobal, same effect.

It's kind of a New Mexico Lukla at this point, still beautifully done, and fun to fly around! :)

Thanks,

Steve

I have the same problem at KONM but also KRWL is completely sunk in. Not sure what's going on here, if its my end or something wrong with the freeware pack.

UPDATE: So from a little research, it seems the freeware collection are based on stock FSX altitudes, thus the issues we are seeing. This seems to have been covered before.

http://www.orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/72247-elevation-issues-freeware-ftxg-airport-kvny/

I suspect those not using mesh are not seeing these problems.

Hi Guys,

My KNVY FTXG airport has no elevation file in Scenery/World/Scenery, I use stock FSX altitudes in all my FTXG airports.  That  AF2_xxxx is from another version of KNVY.

Cheers, Neil

In both cases (KONM and KRWL)

AEC

is your friend.

I suppose, but like the OP said, disabling AEC places KRWL on a high plateau which is hardly a solution. If the freeware airport collection were placed at correct altitutudes instead of MS stock altitudes, we would have less, if any issues with mesh and would not have to disable AEC.

If I get time, I may try to edit the airport altitude myself. However I am waiting for Vector 1.2 which is supposed offer more in terms of AEC.

Sorry, but i can't see a high plateau by using AEC as You can see on my screens below.

tjIKu.jpg

q1OSF.jpg

HjwZa.jpg

So, and now i go to bed, because in 6 hours i start for a vacation to Italy (Rome, Ischia, Capri and so on) and will be back at Eastern. Bye!

I'm starting to think that it's something other than which mesh being used. If that were the case, there would be many more people complaining about FSGlobal mesh.  I'm also running P3Dv2 with the same mesh, Global and Vector, and I am not seeing the same problems as in FSX.

So something is wrong within FSX. I am going to try uninstalling Global and Vector and reinstalling this weekend and see if this solves the problem. I'll report back if I solve the problem.

So I fixed my problems and the AEC fixes within Vector seem to be functioning as they should. I removed and reinstalled Vector and deleted a bunch of other sceneries. I suspect I fubar'd my scenery.cfg a week ago by mistake. Seems to be ok now.

In my case, scenery.cfg is fine; I have no other sceneries in the area, however turning FSGlobal 2010 North America OFF (the mesh) leaves me with screenshots more like what RODI has posted.

Here are a few of my own:

The most broken version - FTX Vector ON, FSGlobal 2010 North America ON, AEC ENABLED:

gLurk.jpg

What that looks like from overhead - the moles have been busy in New Mexico!

knC6F.jpg

NOTE: it's not the runway on the KONM plateau I'm worried about; it's the plateau itself that the airport rests on, you can see the edges of it in this shot.

Okay, shot from higher up, with KONM plonked down on Scirocco -- reminds me of an old Was Not Was song, "I blew up the United States... now little pieces of Texas are floating out in space...."

4PBgi.jpg

Except in this case, they seem to have landed upon this poor little town.  Landclass, I know.....

Next, we take a closer look at the edge of the plateau just a bit south of Runway 33 - rock climbers in Yosemite scaling Half Dome would be jealous!

7ex0m.jpg

In this next shot, FTX Vector ON, KONM AEC Correction DISABLED, FSGlobal2010 DISABLED:

H0pbK.jpg

You can see the highway south of 33 is now passable, the poor little cars wasting gas on the hills are now safe and more fuel-efficient.

For reference, image from Google Earth:

HF5Lb.jpg

Have .kmz will travel.

I hope that adds some clarity.

Thanks,

Steve

Ok so upon further Thought, I Think I am probably being a bit Obtuse here:

The elevation data FSGlobal2010 has for KONM -- as for KLAS and for KSEZ (Sedona, vaguely recall that being mentioned here before), and other FSX airports -- is more accurate than the data the FSX airport elevation is at.

FTXVector corrects the airport to match the real-world elevation for the airport.  If the airport is at any kind of angle or pitch from one end to the other (KONM, KSEZ, KLAS, etc.), it'll show up as one of those cliffs I notice (or, alternately, walls).

There are parts of each airport that match the terrain.  The mismatches in LC are just mismatches with the default FSX LC.

So, I just disable AEC for any airports that have problems that are too severe to make them usable, but fact is, until there's a way to have runways in FSX with different elevations at different parts (are add-on airports done this way?), the problem will persist.

I THINK that's right......???

Archived